Budget alternatives of King 2B

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 05, 2017, 02:36PMWhat's the import rule on gifts?  I know DJ Kennedy often calls his shipments gifts to some areas of the world.

Same rule applies. Depends on what value is declared to the custom authorities.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: bonenick on May 05, 2017, 02:21PMWhen I type on my phone it's a disaster, but you got the general idea.

Personally I don't care much about the looks of an instrument, but I perfrom often outside near the seaside, so I may ruin a good instrument which is otherwise OK just as is because of himidity and salter air. Which may force me to refurbish an instrument just to minimize impact of athmosphere conditions and maintenance efforts. What I care are the mechanics of the instruments (no big dings, inner slide plating should be in good condition).

The other problem is that refurbishing in my area is a bit of problem - that's why I would prefer an instrument that can be used just as it is (I have to send the instrument abroad, though note necessarily far away to get it refurbished.

We have a few members who worked on cruise ships with unlacquered king 2bs and they were just fine. Hard to get more humid and salty than the ocean!

You will get a patina but that's about it.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: bonenick on May 05, 2017, 02:43PMSame rule applies. Depends on what value is declared to the custom authorities.

As I said earlier contact DJ  ...  many have experienced 'gifts' from Uncle Donald!
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 05, 2017, 11:57PM
As I said earlier contact DJ  ...  many have experienced 'gifts' from Uncle Donald!

I already did....excuse my ignorance, who is actually DJ?
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 05, 2017, 02:36PMWhat's the import rule on gifts?  I know DJ Kennedy often calls his shipments gifts to some areas of the world.

A gift can not be to valuable if it's to be called a gift. I think it is about $50. To Europe shipping is added on top of the praise and is about $100. Add 31% which is 25% tax and 3% customs and a bank -fee to convert from $ to SEK. It sums up to 30-31% extra. This means the $ 23 trombone I bought (cheapest in my collection) became mine for $ 160.

At the time I was happy to have made a bargain but if you look at it differently. If true value (ebay value) is  $ 23 I payed 700% over price. Depends on your glasses or shoes or whatever the saying is   Image

I also had to pay tax and fee for a Swedish made Ahlberg Ohlsson valve Trombone from US. The fact it must have been exportedand payed tax for before did not matter. Each time that instrument is sold between EU and US it will cause tax. I think this is insane. Very old instruments should be free from tax.

/Tom
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 05, 2017, 11:57PM

A highly respected member and trombone dealer. If you read post hard to understand from a Manga-avatar he wrote it. He has helped several people find the right horn.

I have not bought from him, but considered. I don't need more trombones as my situation is right now   Image

/Tom
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: bonenick on Yesterday at 12:20 AMI already did....excuse my ignorance, who is actually DJ?

DJ Kennedy... find him on the forum and send him a pm.... he is laso on facebook Donald J Kennedy
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Wow, sounding like it would be as cheap to get a plane ticket to NYC and go to Dillon and come back with a trombone  Image Image Image lol
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 04:57 AMWow, sounding like it would be as cheap to get a plane ticket to NYC and go to Dillon and come back with a trombone  Image Image Image lol

Well...it is not as bad as that. Before $ went up few years ago, importing an instrument in Europe from US, China or any other oversea place would cost as much in Euros as it did originally in $..turns out, it still is.

Example:

New Shires MD from Dillons: $3,595.00 (USD)
New Shires MD from Adams:was € 3990,80, Now: 3591,70

Of course, if you don't buy from a dealer with a fair amount of selling horns (big shipments) and you buy fairly cheap instruments the % of the taxes and shipment is going to be bigger (around 23-25% taxes andVAT + shipping cost which are fairly rigid, no matter how much you pay for the trombone itself)

So, even if you trombone price is 30$ you still have to pay for shipping around 60-100$. Which quickly can make the final price augment 3-5x. Not the case if your original price is over 2000-3000$
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Ohhhhh okay, that kind of makes sense.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: bonenick on May 05, 2017, 02:42PM5. XO Brass 1632gl-lt (not much cheaper, but seems like a good alternative). It is a medium bore though...

This is a real sweet horn.  I have rented one for the last 3 months and will rent if for 3 more months, and then probably just buy it.  It's a .500 bore, so still a small bore trombone.  It plays very much like a .490 though.  Very, very light - 4oz (100g) lighter than a 2B, and the slide seems to move just by thinking about it.  Beautiful warm and rich sound.  There are videos of John Fedchock playing it on youtube.

Here he talks about it (and plays it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FCgaRu7bg
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Anybody played those small dual bore XO brass horns (there are two models .480-.490 bore)? I had a look at them while reading about the 1632gl-lt ?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I've not tried them yet, but will if I ever get the chance.  I've tried the 1632, the 1240 bass and the 1236.  So far I have bought the bass, am in the process of acquiring the 1632, and considering trading in my Shires on a 1236.  To say the least I have been hugely impressed with the XO horns.  I have no reason to beleive the 1028 (which is .495 - .509) would be any less impressive.

XO don't make a  .480-.490 dual bore.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BillO on Yesterday at 03:23 PMXO don't make a  .480-.490 dual bore.

You're right, my bad. Seems like the only difference between the to dual bores is the red brass bell.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

After all the info I got, it seems like the King Tempo is the safest bet for budget horn that I have. Hopefully I will get rid of my present horn by the end of the summer I get to find a decent Tempo for a good price.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

After all the info I got, it seems like the King Tempo is the safest bet for budget horn that I have. Hopefully I will get rid of my present horn by the end of the summer I get to find a decent Tempo for a good price.

Return to “Instruments”