Olds Special from 1981

ttf_leec

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_leec »

Any thought on this model of Olds horn.  Must be one of the last produced.

Thanks,

Lee
ttf_JohnL

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Olds closed their doors in 1979, so one must wonder where a 1981 Special came from. I've heard that some Olds-branded instruments were produced by Schenkelaars in The Netherlands after the Olds factory in Fullerton was shuttered, so that's a possibility.

It's also possible that the instrument was sold new in 1981 but had been in the store for a while. I purchased a new Olds P-24G in early 1981.

The Special was a step-up instrument. The ones from the last years were nickel plated, so I'm not sure what sort of materials were used, but I'd be inclined to speculate that it was mostly yellow brass. Essentially an A-15, but with different braces.
ttf_leec

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_leec »

The ad states purchased in 1981, so I think probably old stock. As it was so late in production I wonder if the build quality was still there. Serial number puts it between 76-77.

I would still appreciate any thoughts on quality compared to earlier horns. Would it be better than my Yamaha ysl-354 for example?
ttf_leec

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_leec »

Well my TAS (trombone acquisition syndrome) won through and I bought the horn.  Don't have it yet but will report when I do.  Not a steal but reasonable I think at $300 CDN.
ttf_leec

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_leec »

So the new old horn has arrived and it is in great shape.  All nickel plated, dual bore non fluted stockings.  There isn't a dent that I can find but a couple of very small scratches in the lacquer finish.  It came with an Olds 12C so I now about 6 of those.  I prefer a Yamaha 48.  The case is pristine, delux two tone covering. After a good clean in the bath tub the slide is excellent.

The only minor flaw is the tuning slide is stuck.  After seeing a couple on sale in the US for $500 or $1000, I think the $300 CDN ($216US)I paid was pretty fair.

Happy camper!
ttf_leec

Olds Special from 1981

Post by ttf_leec »

So the new old horn has arrived and it is in great shape.  All nickel plated, dual bore non fluted stockings.  There isn't a dent that I can find but a couple of very small scratches in the lacquer finish.  It came with an Olds 12C so I now about 6 of those.  I prefer a Yamaha 48.  The case is pristine, delux two tone covering. After a good clean in the bath tub the slide is excellent.

The only minor flaw is the tuning slide is stuck.  After seeing a couple on sale in the US for $500 or $1000, I think the $300 CDN ($216US)I paid was pretty fair.

Happy camper!

Return to “Instruments”