What to do with overly-loud trumpet players?

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

While in the Army Reserve Band I had a trumpet player play a loud high not right into my ear (I don't think it was malicious he just wasn't paying attention to where he was pointing his bell).  My ear was literally ringing, I stood up in the middle of the rehearsal after he did this, and told him if he did it again I would shove the trumpet up his A__.  Probably not the most professional thing to do, but it got the message across he never did it again to me.  Regarding the fitted ear plugs I've found they block too much sound, and I can't hear well enough to play with them.  I prefer hearos that you buy in the music store.  You can adjust how much they attenuate by how far you stick them into your ear.  Definitely protect your hearing you only get one set of ears, and they can't fix hearing loss.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

While in the Army Reserve Band I had a trumpet player play a loud high not right into my ear (I don't think it was malicious he just wasn't paying attention to where he was pointing his bell).  My ear was literally ringing, I stood up in the middle of the rehearsal after he did this, and told him if he did it again I would shove the trumpet up his A__.  Probably not the most professional thing to do, but it got the message across he never did it again to me.  Regarding the fitted ear plugs I've found they block too much sound, and I can't hear well enough to play with them.  I prefer hearos that you buy in the music store.  You can adjust how much they attenuate by how far you stick them into your ear.  Definitely protect your hearing you only get one set of ears, and they can't fix hearing loss.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”