Any Roland VS1680 users on here?

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I have dusted off my Roland VS1680, determined to beat the learning curve. Many people have gone to computer recording (pro tools etc), but since I already own this beast I owe it to myself to try to get a handle on it.

Anyone here use any of the Roland DWS models like this one?
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

There's a lot of info on YouTube about this product.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Hmmm... I used to own a Roland V880 back in the day. (..basically the same operating system as the 1680)

I used it in order to record audio, synchronizing it up to my Mac computer at the time to run alongside MOTU Digital Performer. I'd also record my MIDI track instruments onto the 880, and used it to burn CD's as well.

For the time period, it worked.

I have to say that the learning curve (and the 'work-flow') took a lot of getting used to for what it did.

My advice...

Why not sell it and get yourself a nicely used computer and DAW program capable to recording audio, and MIDI if you need it as well?

I think you'll save a lot of 'hair-tearing' and cussing about how to understand the Roland manual and all the button pushing involved... which you can really just accomplish so easily with a newer DAW program.

Even GarageBand is better than those machines these days, and much simpler to just get going with.

If you have lots of time to kill, use the Roland. But if you want to save some stress, I'd say go with a computer setup these days.
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Hmmm... I used to own a Roland V880 back in the day. (..basically the same operating system as the 1680)

I used it in order to record audio, synchronizing it up to my Mac computer at the time to run alongside MOTU Digital Performer. I'd also record my MIDI track instruments onto the 880, and used it to burn CD's as well.

For the time period, it worked.

I have to say that the learning curve (and the 'work-flow') took a lot of getting used to for what it did.

My advice...

Why not sell it and get yourself a nicely used computer and DAW program capable to recording audio, and MIDI if you need it as well?

I think you'll save a lot of 'hair-tearing' and cussing about how to understand the Roland manual and all the button pushing involved... which you can really just accomplish so easily with a newer DAW program.

Even GarageBand is better than those machines these days, and much simpler to just get going with.

If you have lots of time to kill, use the Roland. But if you want to save some stress, I'd say go with a computer setup these days.

Return to “Technology”