Most favorite mouthpiece

ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

I don't care too much for bach.
ttf_BGuttman

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We had a thread some time back on "worst mouthpiece ever made".  Some real stinkers wound up there.  And I own a few of them.

Why do you need to have people bashing mouthpieces?  Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's bad for everybody else.

Some folks love Denis Wick mouthpieces.  Others can't stand the rim shape.

Same for Schilke.

Same for Bach.

Same for Laskey.  Stork.  Monette.  Conn CL.  Black.  Griego.

Sorry, I just think this poll is a grand waste of time.

ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

Sorry.  Just curious
ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

I prefer Doug Elliott Mouthpieces Image
ttf_BGuttman

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I didn't lock the voting.  Don't know who did.

I like polls that have a positive slant:  "What's your favorite mouthpiece".  Let people talk about what's good.  Then we can have a discussion like:

"I love Bach mouthpieces."
"I don't.  They don't feel right.  I prefer a Schilke."

"Monette is fantastic."
"You can buy better but you can't pay more." Image

<Edit>

Aha!  I see you changed the poll.  Fantastic.  Now I can vote.

</Edit>

ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

I changed it to favorite and added more options, but I can't find a way to change the subject to favorite mouthpiece.  Can you help?
ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

Denis Wick is by far my second choice of mouthpiece Image Love them!
ttf_BGuttman

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK.  This should fix it.  The first post is the title used in the listing, and the last post is the one that determines the heading of all subsequent replies.
ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

Thank you! Image
ttf_svenlarsson

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I voted for G&W, that is what I play on bass trombone, medium and large bore tenor, euphonium and tuba.
I could thing of ways that could make the basstrombone and large bore tenor pieces even better, the tuba and medium tenor pieces are perfect for me.

Another makes that I like is Karl Hammomd, actually I thinik he is the #1 mouthpiece maker, but I want ss mouthpieces and he does not make them.

Griego too is a very good maker! Laskey is very good too.
Stork is a popular mpc, and many players like Curry.
ttf_Bret Steed

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bret Steed »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Jan 03, 2011, 08:08AMI voted for G&W, that is what I play on bass trombone, medium and large bore tenor, euphonium and tuba.
I could thing of ways that could make the basstrombone and large bore tenor pieces even better, the tuba and medium tenor pieces are perfect for me.

Another makes that I like is Karl Hammomd, actually I thinik he is the #1 mouthpiece maker, but I want ss mouthpieces and he does not make them.

Griego too is a very good maker! Laskey is very good too.
Stork is a popular mpc, and many players like Curry.

[Thanks, I added more choices]
ttf_PhantomPhan13

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_PhantomPhan13 »

While there are many who don't, I prefer monette mouthpieces. Yes, they cost a lot... but for me they work. They're very different but well suited for my playing.
ttf_prototypedenNIS

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_prototypedenNIS »

Kelly  Image
ttf_Matt K

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I love the mouthpiece that came with my jinbao.  The one that has no markings to indicate size.  Actually, I'm only being partially facetious, it isn't that bad of a mouthpiece... though I always play alto with my Doug Elliott unless I left it somewhere on accident.
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

My favorite mouthpiece at present is my Greg Black. Does everything I ask it to, fits my face nicely, tames the 'beast' that is my Conn 88H nicely.

I also love my new Hammond 19BL for my bass, but I've been playing the Greg Black for 8 years now, and the Hammond for 8 days, so hardly a fair comparison.

I really like the Yamaha 47 I play in some small-bore horns, gives a very nice brilliant tone quality.

And... when I needed a mouthpiece to tame the articulations/some degree of brilliance on a Besson .487 student horn to blend with an alto for the Mozart Requiem, my Bach 4 Megatone (small-shank, from a christmas-gift-from-non-trombonist 'special-order' mishap 10+ years ago, was supposed to be a large shank 4G) worked beautifully.

Still... I voted for the Greg Black, because I use it 90% of the time, haven't felt the need to look for anything to replace it, and overall just like the design/blank (Warburton uses a very similar blank, perhaps even the same one, and I've liked the few mouthpieces of theirs that I've tried as well) quite a bit.
ttf_vegasbound

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

I voted for Doug Elliott !

Because as a freelance player I have to play everything from Alto through to Basstrom/euph and his system allows me to do that without to much of a disturbance caused by rim changes!

ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I love my GW mouthpieces, they're great. Before that I used standard Bach 5 and 6 1/2's

ttf_RedHotMama

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I don't really have a favourite brand. However, I do have a favourite type - cushion rim! Anyone who makes a nice kindly mouthpiece which stops my scar becoming worse gets my vote. Which is why I voted for Bach.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

I have been around through numerous mouthpieces and brands but I have come to favor the Ferguson V and L mouthpieces for bass playing....at least for the time being  Image

Still testing different brands/mouthpieces for tenor and Euph playing due to my new found comfort on larger rims from playing bass full time.
ttf_octavposaune

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

Hi All,

Doug has been making mouthpieces that fit my face better than anything else.  I contacted him because I needed a mouthpiece to fit my bass sackbutt.  After trying his stuff and having him sell me something that fit my face well I was hooked, that was 18 years ago...

I still have some other mouthpieces including one GB A1, some tester Bachs in my shop and a couple of random other pieces.  For performances on tenor and bass trombones I use Doug's stuff exclusively.

With that being said, I like the sound of Bach pieces, but not the rims (in general), there are so many good pieces out there at the moment.

Benn
ttf_prototypedenNIS

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_prototypedenNIS »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 08, 2011, 08:00AMI don't really have a favourite brand. However, I do have a favourite type - cushion rim! Anyone who makes a nice kindly mouthpiece which stops my scar becoming worse gets my vote. Which is why I voted for Bach.
RHM, have you tried a Rudy Muck?
I used to use one as a tester mpc at work.  It was comfy!
ttf_JimR

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_JimR »

After much experimentation, Doug's mouthpieces have really clicked with me, both tenor and bass.

Jim
ttf_ronkny

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: prototypedenNIS on Jan 08, 2011, 04:40PMRHM, have you tried a Rudy Muck?
I used to use one as a tester mpc at work.  It was comfy!
They are comfy but I can't articulate with them.  They are very comfy.
ttf_JSBassTrb

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

As of now...I am in love with my Shires 1-1/2G
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Jan 08, 2011, 08:00AMI don't really have a favourite brand. However, I do have a favourite type - cushion rim! Anyone who makes a nice kindly mouthpiece which stops my scar becoming worse gets my vote. Which is why I voted for Bach.
Scar? What happened?  Image
ttf_Burgerbob

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I use Hammonds in pretty much everything... Great pieces.
But I have to say, looking at these results, Congrats Doug! It's good to see a small maker with a huge consumer base like that.
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

blessing 12c
ttf_connman93

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Add Shires to the list!!  Image
ttf_JSBassTrb

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Quote from: connman93 on Feb 05, 2011, 05:22AMAdd Shires to the list!!  Image
Yeah that's what I use...looove that thing
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

NY Bach 12 for the jazz horn.
Faxx 5G for the 88H

ttf_SensitiveJohn

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_SensitiveJohn »

I especially like the 6 1/2 AL.  It's so comfy!  It works great with my Bach 36.  I have to watch it with my King 3B though, as it can lead to overblow/blattiness.  I'm thinking of ditching the King 3B in favor of the Bach 36 for the sole reason that it works better with my favorite mouthpiece.
ttf_AHS Musician93

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_AHS Musician93 »

I originally voted for Greg Black, because I played a few times on my teacher's 5G-4G and absolutely loved it. Since I double on euphonium, he recommended trying out a Doug Elliott mouthpiece. It works amazingly for me, by far my favorite mouthpiece I've ever played on.
ttf_Lockr

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Lockr »

FAXX 6 1/2AL.
ttf_hurry

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_hurry »

Hammond 13s for Conn6H
13m for 88H
and I've just started to use
12ml for YBL321. Image

Bach corp. 9 for Conn44H

hurry
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm actually a bigger fan of Greg Black now....I think they're great
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I really like my Warburton.
ttf_silvabone

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_silvabone »

The Greg Black has my vote too.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

The Rath mouthpieces gets my vote but I didn't see it so I voted for Denis Wick because that is my second favorite for both trombone and euphonium
ttf_GRM

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_GRM »

Holton (the old models) and Marcinkiewicz (with the deeper cups) make a few good mouthpieces, but my vote goes to Bach (even though every time I by new ones I need to flatten out the rim with 2000 grit sandpaper).
ttf_savio

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_savio »

Bach  Image Strange this hated and loved mouthpiece still is the one that all others are compared. The design from that old man Bach must have had something good?

Leif
ttf_Bob Kolada

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bob Kolada »

My JK KBP2C is my favorite mouthpiece out of anything I have played on any instrument ever. The 2A also works nicely in small bass tubas for a clearer, brighter sound. Oddly enough the 2C is actually kind of a tweener for me on bass and contra; I prefer a bit bigger on contra. It's not quite a 100% of the time bass mouthpiece but is close enough for me.
I also really like my Yamaha 60B and Bach 18. The Yamaha is great for small bass, big tenor as a doubler, and euphonium. The 2C is a bit broad for me in, imo, already thick/tubby compensating euphoniums. The Bach is a great Eb mouthpiece and works well enough in every other tuba.
 The 60B is too small for any use in F contra for me, but a friend sounded great on it on his homemade F contra- very F bass like. That's a pretty slick horn in of itself. King bass slide, .562 valves with D on the finger and Bb on the thumb, and the bell off a G baritone. Heavy horn though!
ttf_Bassboneplayer95

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bassboneplayer95 »

Bach is over rated, and I haven't tried Doug Elliot yet, but I'm madly in love with my Yamaha Doug Yeo bass MP, original, not replica.
ttf_brucolli

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_brucolli »

Rath
ttf_Mahlerbone

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Mahlerbone »

Most favorite mouthpiece?

I love lamp.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I love my PrimeSlide Design mouthpiece on bass and I am doing fine on an old Bach 9 on my 2B, but lately is leaving that last bit of sparkle and character to be desired. Just whatever works is my favorite. I am hoping to make some money so I can get fitted to a right and proper mouthpiece, Doug Elliott, on my 2B.

So, if it were an option: PrimeSlide Design! Feels so great, looks super, and sounds just how I want to sound Image
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My mouthpiece isn' :cry:t listed

I play on a Josef Klier O£ Exclusive

http://josefklier.de/mouthpieces/trombone/?lang=en
ttf_anonymous

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Kelly 6 1/2AL not on list but gets my vote every time, never gets cold on those cold outdoor gigs. Before Kelly, always played Denis Wick 9BS.
ttf_sabutin

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_sabutin »

"Most favorite mouthpiece?"

Of all time?

Bach wins by a landslide. Bach m'pces are the gold standard by which all others are judged. For me? I still love my NY and Mt. Vernon Bachs on smaller tenors. I also like Doug's stuff. I'm using one on my favorite horn, a Shires .525, and eventually I'm going to try to put together a couple of smaller ones as well. Every Minick m'pce that I have ever tried has been fine; I use a Benge Marcellus that looks, feels and plays much like a 4-ish/5-ish Bach on my .547 when I am using it in jazz situations, and a Ferguson Jeff Reynolds model on my bass.

Vincent Bach revolutionized brass m'pce design in the '30s and that in turn revolutionized how brass instruments sounded and were played. Pre-Bach? Much more V-cupped, much lighter blanks and a hootier, slightly weaker sound and attack profile. Post-Bach? More muscle. That's what I see and hear, anyway, and I have tried a lot of old m'pces on the horns for which they were designed and listened to a lot of old brass recordings.

Later...

S.
ttf_Baker

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Baker »

Josef Klier
but not listed  Image
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Since I last posted my PrimeSlide feels cramped and I am getting a DE to replace it. So I will have DE pieces for all of my horns. Best balance of any mouthpiece I have played. I just tried out a Minick bass piece and it was too small for me to work around a full bass bone range, but fantastic! something I could use for 3rd.

Return to “Polls”