Naming Trombones

ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My marching/pep horn is Amber and  my 88H is.... Connor H. Conn Image
Side note:
once me and my director were talking about which horn I should use for what and the high school band director over heard it...

Should I use connor or Amber for jazz, because I knid of want to use amber because she doesn't get out much and might have a faster response but so far I've been using connor.

I don't know delayna  with most people someone like amber would work best but connor is doing great and I don't know if you should swich because you got so used to him.

let's just say that high school band director got a little confussaled
ttf_Precious

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Precious »

My Olds Special is Emily
My Olds Ambassador is Herkimer (and Shorty is using that one in his band adventure this year)
My Bach alto is Jack
My silver colored sommat or other is "Lamp" (because eventually, it will be more lamp than trombone)

There isn't much that I *don't* name...
ttf_djdekok

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Quote from: Adurobone on Dec 04, 2003, 05:39PMMy old Holton is Jack. I'm  getting a new one soon, though.
Here's a question: Are trombones masculine or feminine (in concern to naming) ?
I'll take my cue from that venerable old warhorse, "sa Majeste le trombone" by duClos.  (His Majesty the trombone).  "Le" is masculine in French.

That being said, I've named both my horns "bessie"--don't ask me why (well, Bessie I and Bessie II) Image
ttf_RedHotMama

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I neither name nor sleep with my trombones. Am I a pervert?

ttf_Connor H. Conn

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Connor H. Conn »

Quote from: RedHotMama on May 19, 2008, 12:00PMI neither name nor sleep with my trombones. Am I a pervert?

yes
ttf_RedHotMama

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My 42's name is Baryophiy, which is hebrew for "son of (masculine) goodness and/or beauty" it doesn't totally relate to anything, but, it's pretty cool if you ask me  Image
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Adurobone on Dec 04, 2003, 05:39PMMy old Holton is Jack. I'm  getting a new one soon, though.
Here's a question: Are trombones masculine or feminine (in concern to naming) ?

It depends, if you're a guy give it a feminine name.and vise versa.i think of it as, if your a guy and your trombones a guy then...yeah..Ha!
My Yamaha is Viggo
Bundy-Billie Joe
Mellowfone-Dereck. Image
ttf_BFW

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BFW »

Some people choose feminine/masculine based on the "I'm kissing this instrument" aspect.  Some choose based on "this instrument makes a feminine/masculine sound" aspect.  Perhaps it's a question of whether the instrument is viewed as a partner or an extension of one's self, too.
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

I've decided that the 6H I bought from DJ should be named:

Take II

since this is my second horn that I have owned in my life and my second try at playing trombone (with a 30 + year gap between the first and second times)

"I'm ready for my closeup..."  Image Image
ttf_Xenophile

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Xenophile »

I don't name my trombone because to me, giving her a name would imply that she has a personality other than the one that I am aiming to portray through her at any given particular point in time.
ttf_dr.icarus1342

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_dr.icarus1342 »

I often get into arguments with my trombone David- I'm not gay, just he seemed like a guy to me. (If you saw him, you'd think so too, covered in dents and scratches with an F-trigger. I didn't make him that way, got him from my aunt.) I also don't think I'm making out- just a disagreeing opinion. I usually think of the "mouth" organ as the bell, since, you know. So more of the "extension of myself" thing.
ttf_BlueTrombonist

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BlueTrombonist »

Nope.
ttf_Exzaclee

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Mrs. Jones
 Image Image :sing:Me ee ee and missu, missus Jones missus jones missus ones missus joowowowones

we got a thang                goin' on

dwee do dwee do dwee do dwee do           Image Image Image

yeah....   Mrs. Jones.  we both know it's wrong, but it's much to strong.....

If loving my horn is wrong, i don't wanna be right!

Z

ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Blessing Student Model - Penelope

Yamaha YSL something - Estelle

King 3B - Robyn

All girls that got away.

I'm a sad, sad man Image
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

Quote from: JonnoBrittain on Apr 30, 2009, 12:59AMBlessing Student Model - Penelope

Yamaha YSL something - Estelle

King 3B - Robyn

All girls that got away.

I'm a sad, sad man Image

"it's far better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"   Alfred Tennyson
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

As I stated earlier, I've decided that the 6H I bought from DJ should be named:

Take II

since this is my second horn that I have owned in my life and my second try at playing trombone (with a 30 + year gap between the first and second times)

now that I have found some EBAY steals:

The Olds Special '59 I haven't named because its being donated to a local school music program after being worked on by the local repair shop, cleaning and dent repair was all that was needed.

the 1890 - 1910ish Fredrick Busch trombone is called "Respect" as in "respect your elders"

the 1910ish H N White "King Solo Model 2" is called "Behave" as in "Junior, behave"

for obvious reasons.

so current role call:

"Respect", "Behave" and "Take II"
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: sly fox on Apr 30, 2009, 01:53AM"it's far better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"   Alfred Tennyson

Hahaha. The thing is, I never got love any of those girls. Just admire them from afar and indulge in a spot of wishful thinking.
ttf_miki v

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_miki v »

Conn 18H - The old girl

Bach 42B - Hi Ho Silver (DJ named it that when I was buying it, and the name stuck)

BBb tuba - Big Bertha

now to think of something for the Benge 165f?? Image

Cars: Ford falcon (xr8)- The Boss

Hyundai Excel - Pocket Rocket Image

my parents always named our cars, usually using the numberplate letters , so it's not much of a stretch to naming my instruments - they all have their own personalities. Image

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Holton TR-181 = Count Bassy ( terrible pun for Count Basie, but the fist Jazz chart I played with it was one of his... )

Custom 42 = Seras ( inside joke with a friend of mine, the name's from Hellsing )

King 2B Silver Sonic = Sheva ( kind of an inside joke, the name's from RE5 )

Frankenbone = selfexplanitory really...

Bach 301 = Giuseppe

Jupiter JSL-432 = Luciano
ttf_Bonebonebone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Bonebonebone »

My 3b is named "Kickass"
ttf_legallois

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_legallois »

My Bach 42BO has been Jean Petit for a while.
Bach in Welsh = Little = Petit and there's a song about Jean Petit.

But I'm not convinced. After all, he's not that small.

Perhaps PDQ, after one of the most versatile of the Bach family ?
Perhaps Brooks ?

Meanwhile, "it's better to have loved a short girl than never to have loved a tall".
ttf_Bonebonebone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Bonebonebone »

I've been having second thoughts about christening my horn "Kickass." After all, that was the name I gave my high school horn, and I think I should do my 3b justice with an original name. My brother suggested "Bamf", but while it is completely awesome, I think explaining the name to people would be awkward.

Maybe Big McLargeHuge or Master Exploder or... I can't think of anything that would work.

This is way too difficult - why isn't there a book of instrument names out there?? They have 'em for babies, why not trombones?
ttf_Dan

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Dan »

Conn Director somethingorother-Olga
York somethingorother-Delilah
Bach Omega-Rosemary/Melissa...not sure which one. Must be a split personality disorder.  Image

Jupiter JST-314 sop bone - Doesn't have a name, although I decided it was the child of my Bach and a Yamaha bass I used to have named Spike...
ttf_stonebone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_stonebone »

My wife has a name for my trombone--"the other woman." Ha!
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yamaha YSL-354 is Spike
Elkhart Conn 88H is Don Ciccio
Both are names my dad frequently calls me...which means the next trombone I get will be Lee or Mr. Pink.
ttf_miki v

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_miki v »

Thought I'd update my trombone names, as they have evolved since the above post.

Conn 18H is still the old girl

Bach 42B is now Gomez (Addams)

Benge 165F is Morticia

Miraphone 186 BBb tuba is Lurch

Gotta love the Addams Family.  Image Image Image

ttf_Mouse

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Mouse »

I think names give an instrument personality, and since I feel like I work WITH them (as a partner) it's important to know them

(yamaha's)
697z Rafael

881G Bjorn

882O Erik

830 Siegfried

Miraphone soprano:
Lief

ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My 42T is Cleopatra (Cleo for short).
ttf_RedHotMama

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I had a close look at my King yesterday. For ease of carrying, I've been squeezing it into a case which is a lot smaller than its proper one. I notice that the top of the slide has been denting the bell. Quite badly, in fact. So its name is probably Ouch.... Image
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

or how about "Hurt Me"
ttf_USATrombone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_USATrombone »

my greenhoe bach 50's name is Victoria. She treats me very well. The wife gets a little jealous when I take victoria on long trips without her.
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

decided on the name of my latest addition, the Silver plated Conn 4H (1940ish). In honor of its excellent art deco engraving, it is known as "Arty"

so here is the current lineup:

I now own:

3 Conn trombones:  The 1917ish Conn S Model 3 is called "Monk", a '76ish Conn 6H, named "Take II", thanks to DJ, which I use in my efforts in relearning how to play, and my latest addition, a 1940ish Conn 4H, silver plated, beautiful art deco engraving, known as "Arty".

a 1890 - 1910ish Fredrick Busch trombone is called "Respect" as in "respect your elders".

a 1910ish H N White "King Solo Model 2" is called "Behave" as in "Junior, behave". 

a 1910ish Buescher Grand called "Bueschie". 

a 1915ish Frank Holton & Company Special - "Frankie"

R. Wunderlich - "Wonder" (as in my wife wonders what the heck I am doing with all these trombones.

the order according to date of manufacture (??)

"Respect", "Behave", "Bueshie", Frankie", "Monk", "Wonder"???, "Arty" and "Take II".  All except "Take II" were low cost EBAY purchases.

The Olds Special '59, that I had bought, has been donated to my son's H S band after being fixed up.  His section leader had a problem with his trombone, discovered the Olds and has fallen in love with it.  He uses it for Marching Band  Image and as lead trombone in Jazz Band  Image
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

since we have had a number of new members recently, I thought I would give this thread a bump and see if we have any people wanting to comment.
ttf_Trombone Samurai

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Trombone Samurai »

It's interesting how an even number of people give their horn a female name as they do a male name.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Where i come from we call all horns, trompets and so  ' TOETER'   Image
I don't know anybody who has given there horn a name.

ttf_Torobone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I have only named my bass Duo Gravis, because it is big enough to consider having a name.

She's Gerta, as in Big Bertha's sister.
ttf_baspet

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_baspet »

sorry to say, but...
giving your trombone a name, its like giving your **** a name.
ttf_Torobone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: baspet on Dec 08, 2009, 04:17AMsorry to say, but...
giving your trombone a name, its like giving your **** a name.

It sounds like you have English as a second language. You must first understand a culture before you comment on it. At least, that's what my European friends tell me.
ttf_baspet

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_baspet »

i didn't want to offend anyone. But that is what i thougt.
And yes English is my second language. I do my best to make no spelling mistakes.
ttf_BFW

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_BFW »

Quote from: baspet on Dec 08, 2009, 04:34AMi didn't want to offend anyone. But that is what i thougt.
If you really didn't want to offend anyone, you might have thought it and not said it.

Some guys don't name their girlfriends; they just call them "the woman."
ttf_baspet

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_baspet »

nice comparison. girlfriend - trombone

ttf_ddickerson

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Sly,

are all of your trombones playable? You have quite a stash.
ttf_sly fox

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_sly fox »

quite a stash???

remember except for two, the Conn 6H and the 35 Buescher, all were cheap EBAY auction winners (very low $XXX)  Buesher 35 Grand Delux was a benefit of having a friend on TTF  Conn 6H was a good buy (thanks to DJ).

1935ish Grand Delux is called "Goldie" for obvious reasons.

check out the gallery for pictures

roll call: 
3 conns, 2 bueschers, 1 Wunderlich, 1 Busch, 1 Holton, 1 King,

only one made in the last 30 some years, others: 1940ish, 1935ish, 1910 - 1920ish, give or take one 1900 - 1910ish.

any one wanting to trade a LA Olds professional model or a King Liberty, Liberty 2B or 2B for some of my pea shooters, PM me.  ( Image to dream the impossible dream Image)

Work??? yes and no.  some of the slides need work but all are playable all are low pitch so close to modern pitch or  they are actually modern pitch.  obviously, the 6H and 4H are the best in my humble opinion. 

some of the slides need work but all are playable, in a fashion, all are low pitch so close to modern pitch or  they are actually modern pitch.  obviously, the 6H and 4H are the best in my humble opinion. 

My son's section leader has indicated to his parents that he might want a graduation gift of a good vintage jazz trombone, so I have loaned him the 4H, the Holton special and the 35 Buescher to try out and to do a "report" back to me about his thoughts about their abilities.  I will update you folks then. 

this is with his parents' consent who have asked me to help him out in finding a good trombone when the time comes.  I am hoping to broaden his horizons to the various possibilities.  He really likes the Olds Special, but the School won't sell it to him.
ttf_anonymous

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My King Silver is Little Boy and my Bach 36 is Fat Man (Atomic bombs).  I don't have names for my two older ones. 
ttf_mrt88

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_mrt88 »

My bass is Loki, after the norse god of mischief, seemed apt lol
ttf_bonegrl

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_bonegrl »

Quote from: mrt88 on Jan 11, 2010, 05:51PMMy bass is Loki, after the norse god of mischief, seemed apt lol

That's a good one.
ttf_RobertV

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_RobertV »

My Shires I call 'the Shires', my alto trombone is called 'the alto'. Original, huh?
People who do name their trombones, in what circumstances or conversations do you use it?
ttf_RedHotMama

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

I've never "got it", myself. I don't name anything. My King is "the trombone". But then, I only use one trombone, so perhaps it doesn't matter so much!
ttf_Torobone

Naming Trombones

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: RobertV on Jan 13, 2010, 03:03AMMy Shires I call 'the Shires', my alto trombone is called 'the alto'. Original, huh?
People who do name their trombones, in what circumstances or conversations do you use it?

Think of the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy". There is a Land Rover that is problematic at the very least, and this vehicle apparently is always in need of repair. For the purposes in the film, the handbrake is broken, and this leads to much fun stopping on a hill while opening and closing a game/farm fence.

This vehicle is called by the South Africans in the film the "AntiChrist".

Get the idea?

As for me, I shared a name here, but I rarely if ever use it with anyone.

Return to “Polls”