Recommend a microphone for iOS device (iPhone/iPad)?

ttf_drater421

Post by ttf_drater421 »

Hi friends.  I'm new here and just getting back into playing after a 20yr hiatus.

I've only been back at it for a few days, but have experimented a bit with recording myself with my iPhone.

Maybe it really is my playing (most likely), but the playback sounds terrible relative to what I hear while playing.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good microphone to attach to an iPhone or iPad?  I'm not trying to build a recording studio, just looking for a microphone that has better fidelity than the built-in mic on an iOS device.

I'm considering this, but haven't clicked buy yet:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B010W6W8OW

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

That Shure you're looking at is probably really nice. I haven't tested myself but also hearing great things about the Zoom iQ5 microphone, and it costs about half that of the Shure.

Ultimately the best is to find audio clips of the mics in different settings (easily done from YouTube reviews even if that's technically compressed/lossy audio) and see which one seems to have the best audio quality for how much you're willing to spend.

Happy hunting!  Image
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I just got an MV88 - so far I like it.  From the online reviews/tests I found, it seemed that the MV88 had the best fullness to the sound. I haven't really put it through it's paces to give full review, but so far I feel like it was worth the little extra money.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You might want to look at where the microphone (Ipad) is located relative to your bell.  Too close or directly on-axis can give a very distorted reproduction.  Generally you want it off-axis and at least a foot away.  On-axis should be further.

If the Ipad is on your music stand you may need the external mic just to move off axis.  I found a cheap mic works just fine.  I used a $9 no-name cardioid to make recordings into my laptop for a course.  CD quality?  No.  But it was OK.  Especially for evaluating your sound as you progress.
ttf_DaveAshley

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I really like my Zoom iQ6! I use it all the time to record myself on gigs and practice session.
ttf_drater421

Post by ttf_drater421 »

Hi Friends.  Just as a follow up, I ended up buying the Shure MV88 that I linked in the top post.  It arrived this afternoon.

Just as a data point, it's a really great microphone.

I still sound terrible, *BUT*, this mic made it clear that it's my attacks that suck rather than the total sound.  I still have a ton of work to do for a very long time, but I think this mic will help me dial things in.

Thanks again, everyone!
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: drater421 on Jan 25, 2018, 08:41PM
I still sound terrible, *BUT*, this mic made it clear that it's my attacks that suck rather than the total sound.  I still have a ton of work to do for a very long time, but I think this mic will help me dial things in.

Thanks again, everyone!

In audio settings in the recording App, make sure that Auto Level Control, ALC, any filters like "Hi Pass" "enhance" etc or unchecked. There's many YouTube videos of otherwise good recordings spoilt by having their attacks and tone mangled through the miss-use of ALC's and High pass filters.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I just bought an Irig mic cast, very cheep, anyone tried it? Im not sure how to make it work on my old windows phone. Maybe its best on an Iphone? Im going to try it a little right now.

Leif
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I just bought an Irig mic cast, very cheep, anyone tried it? Im not sure how to make it work on my old windows phone. Maybe its best on an Iphone? Im going to try it a little right now.

Leif

Return to “Technology”