Broadway - getting their music

ttf_cozzagiorgi

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Hi

First: I'm in Europe, so forgive my ignorance about this subject...

I keep reading on the forum people playing Broadway shows off the Broadway. They seem to play the real show but else where. So, how does one go about buying the music for these performances? Are you able to buy the whole book and perform as you want? Where can I find this music?

Thanks.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Certain Broadway Musicals that are successful eventually "go on the road" as a National Tours. These productions tour in the US and sometimes internationally depending on the production. When I play a Broadway National Tour for a week in the city where I live the music is sent in advance to all of the local musicians a few weeks in advance to prepare. Sometimes the actual parts are mailed and sometimes the parts are sent electronically. Whatever the method these parts are not for sale and should not be duplicated as they are owned by the production. The end of your post is a little confusing as I'm not sure where you'd perform your part in public by itself. Are you looking for a compete set of parts for a certain production? If so I'd look into renting the music. You can rent certain scores/parts for a certain time frame but there are many rules and limitations one must follow.
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Sorry if I am not clear.

I'd like to perform with an orchestra I play in. So if I understand right, it is possible to rent the parts? Where do I have to look for those parts?

Thanks.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

As I understand it, you have to rent the whole book, all the parts, and it is very expensive. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If all you want are songs from the show, you can buy piano reductions or solo/piano transcriptions.  These are often authorized but not authentic arrangements.

Actual parts are generally rented, along with scripts.  In the US it's often through Samuel French, the Rodgers and Hammerstein Library, or sometimes other publishers.  As Tim mentioned, it's expensive and often the parts aren't terribly useful by themselves.  I believe all the American organizations either deal directly with Europe or through a corresponding agent like Schott.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

I was told at last night's 'Hunchback' rehearsal that each book costs $85.  We have 27 musicians playing total (strings, wwinds, brass & perc).

The distributor where we got the scores is MTI - Music Theater International (www.mtishows.com).
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

In my experience Broadway shows are always rented, never sold.
The theater producer "rents" the show from the owner under a "licensing" agreement.
The rental price will depend on:
  • [li]How new and popular the show is.[/li][li]The number of performances[/li][li]The size of the theater/audience[/li][li]The number of parts[/li][li]Any costumes, props, scenery[/li]
This is for the USA, Europe may differ.
ttf_TriJim

Post by ttf_TriJim »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Jan 08, 2018, 08:12AMI was told at last night's 'Hunchback' rehearsal that each book costs $85.  We have 27 musicians playing total (strings, wwinds, brass & perc).

The distributor where we got the scores is MTI - Music Theater International (www.mtishows.com).

We played an MTI show ('Annie') last month and I think this price was to replace a lost or defaced book, not to perform the music. 
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

That may be right. I probably misunderstood what the $85 price was. Image
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 08, 2018, 07:43AMAs I understand it, you have to rent the whole book, all the parts, and it is very expensive. 

True.

Quote from: RMTrombone on Jan 08, 2018, 08:46AMIn my experience Broadway shows are always rented, never sold.
The theater producer "rents" the show from the owner under a "licensing" agreement.
The rental price will depend on:
  • [li]How new and popular the show is.[/li]
True.
  • [li]The number of performances[/li][li]The size of the theater/audience[/li][li]The number of parts[/li][li]Any costumes, props, scenery[/li]
This is for the USA, Europe may differ.

ttf_cozzagiorgi

Ok. Thanks for your answers. I'll look into some shows.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I did a calculation on one of the sites and it looks like the rental price was somewhere around 15% of the expected gross revenue for the whole run of the show.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

From the Music Theater International website:

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Disney) for 11 performances over 3 weeks at US$20 per ticket:

Approximate Cost (license)
$9,053 - $12,248
Based on an estimate of $60,000 in ticket sales.

https://www.mtishows.com/the-hunchback-of-notre-dame
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

From the Music Theater International website:

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (Disney) for 11 performances over 3 weeks at US$20 per ticket:

Approximate Cost (license)
$9,053 - $12,248
Based on an estimate of $60,000 in ticket sales.

https://www.mtishows.com/the-hunchback-of-notre-dame

Return to “Performance”