Post by ttf_Jesse »

What's a good tenor straight mute?
ttf_hyperbolica

Mute

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

ttf_BGuttman

Mute

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For a first mute I suggest the Humes and Berg Stoneline.  It's inexpensive and a lot of groups use them.

I have a number of the fancier aluminum mutes.  They all work fine, but you can buy 3 Stonelines for the cost of one of them.

If you are playing a symphonic size tenor, avoid the Harmon aluminum mutes.  They are sized for a real small bore.

I found that the ToneColor mutes have very thin corks and tend to block too much sound.

There are some convertible cup mutes (cup slides off) that can do double duty provided you don't have any quick mute changes.

I'd get a Stoneline and just play.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Mute

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

I use a Denis Wick Aluminum straight mute for my large bore tenor. I really like it. Works great.

https://www.wwbw.com/Denis-Wick-DW5505-Series-Trombone-Straight-Mute-360098.wwbw?source=TWWR5J1BB&cntry=us&currency=usd&gclid=CjwKCAiApJnRBRBlEiwAPTgmxFUJGSrw26z9od8KvCqXzyDgqaZuc8jT8Mt3x4g7T1gfERCmTnrRhxoCRf8QAvD_BwE

But as Bruce said above, if you want something cheaper, the H&B stonelined straight mute is a good option. I actually have a used one I’m not using anymore that I’ll sell you if you want it. PM me if you are interested.
ttf_ChadA

Mute

Post by ttf_ChadA »

In my experience, Tom Crown straight mutes.  I have both Jo-Ral and Tom Crown bass mutes.  Both are very good, but I prefer the Tom Crown.  My tenor straight is Tom Crown also.

The Humes and Berg stonelined are cheap, but I find them very stuffy, especially in anything approaching the low range.  YMMV.
ttf_BGuttman

Mute

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The cone shaped StoneLine straight has a problem somewhere around low A.  You can do things to the mute to alleviate the problem, like a cardboard extension tube at the top or a 1/8-1/4 inch hole in the bottom.

Crown, Wick, and Jo-Ral are all larger and the funny tone is down around trigger D.  Not much of a problem with a straight tenor.
ttf_pedrombon

Mute

Post by ttf_pedrombon »

I've played Jo-ral, Denis Wick, H&B, Tom Crown, Wallace and others, and my preferred is the Romera Brass.

http://www.romerabrass.com/romerabrass_mutes-for-trombone_13_straight-tenor-trombone-mute_25_0_0_p1_o1.php
ttf_Jesse

Mute

Post by ttf_Jesse »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Dec 05, 2017, 08:11AMThis is my favorite.
http://www.humesandberg.com/product_detail.php?product=149
The link in the website doesn't work and Dillon's music doesn't seem to have it nor does anybody els
ttf_hyperbolica

Mute

I try to get stuff at Hickey's, but WWBW will do, I guess. The 126 is the one in the previous image.

https://www.wwbw.com/Humes-Berg-Stonelined-Series-Trombone-Straight-Mute-464293.wwbw
ttf_JohnL

Mute

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Looking at the OP's profile, I see a King 606 and a P-bone.

Most metal straight mutes are designed for symphony-bore tenors; I'd suggest making sure the mute will fit the horn before plunking down the money. The Humes and Berg "Stone Lined" straight (#151) should just plug in and work.
ttf_BGuttman

Mute

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The H&B Symphonic will work as well (I have one and it fits all my small bores), but for 4x more than a 151 cone.
ttf_hyperbolica

Mute

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 05, 2017, 07:25PMThe H&B Symphonic will work as well (I have one and it fits all my small bores), but for 4x more than a 151 cone.

Yeah. The question wasn't "what's the cheapest", he asked for a good mute. This is my fave. I've got H&B fiber mutes, DW, Tom Crown, Harmon, but the H&B Symphonic is my favorite.
ttf_SilverBone

Mute

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

For the OP's horns, I concur with the H&B Stonelined.

But for larger bores and symphony work, I've been using an Alessi/Vacchiano for about fifty years and have seen no reason to change.  (Still using the same mute I bought fifty years ago too.)
ttf_SilverBone

Mute

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

For the OP's horns, I concur with the H&B Stonelined.

But for larger bores and symphony work, I've been using an Alessi/Vacchiano for about fifty years and have seen no reason to change.  (Still using the same mute I bought fifty years ago too.)

Return to “Accessories”