Bolero!

ttf_LeoInFL

Bolero!

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

At this past Sunday's rehearsal our director announced another piece for our upcoming Spring concert season. We're playing Bolero! He had already said we're also performing Dvorak's 'New World' Symphony No.9 (the entire thing) and then another movie-themed concert later in the season.

I hoping to play the solo part at least once during the performance, with our principal's permission of course.
ttf_BGuttman

Bolero!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I hope you mean during a rehearsal -- I doubt the lead player would cede this during the performance unless he finds it a little beyond his comfort zone.

I had a similar experience where we were rehearsing the Mahler 1st symphony.  Our regular tuba player wasn't at rehearsal and I filled in.  Got to play the "Frere Jacques" solo in the 2nd movement.  What fun!
ttf_Stewbones43

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

We did this, (and the last 2 movements of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique,) with the rehearsal orchestra I conduct.

The easiest part in the whole orchestra is the conductor's! All you have to do is make sure you know where the end is!

You might get chance to play the main theme on the reprise near the end.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_BGuttman

Bolero!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I just pity those two snare drummers who have to play the same bar for 15 minutes. Image

Note: the piece runs around q=60 and it's 3 beats to the measure so you play 20 measures per minute or 300 measures in the piece.  Not only that, but you have to match the other guy as well.
ttf_Stan

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Stan »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 18, 2017, 09:33AMI just pity those two snare drummers who have to play the same bar for 15 minutes. Image

It's been my experience that they've got the hardest job:  Playing THAT for 15 minutes, on a snare drum, and keeping the tempo steady.  That's beyond some snare drummers....
ttf_MikeBMiller

Bolero!

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Bolero manages to combine one of the hardest 1st bone parts around with the easiest and most boring 2nd bone part. My advice is to let all the air out of your principal player's tires on the night of the show so you can play the solo.
ttf_hyperbolica

Bolero!

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Oct 18, 2017, 12:30PMBolero manages to combine one of the hardest 1st bone parts around with the easiest and most boring 2nd bone part. My advice is to let all the air out of your principal player's tires on the night of the show so you can play the solo.
It's more than just a solo, isn't it? You have to play that part in ensemble as well, so you wind up playing it at least 3X, I thought. As well as the cool trombonified ending.;o)
ttf_LeoInFL

Bolero!

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

We have 4 (me included) on first book. I sit next to our principal Steve Satone and he's been really generous with solos this season. He has a "been there, done that" approach and he's heard me play the Bolero before and after rehearsals in the past. I think I would request the second or third time through the passage instead of the actual solo. My real concern would be matching the tone/phrasing/style that Steve uses when he plays it as a solo the first time.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Bolero!

Is this an orchestra or a drum corps? 4 first bones? Wow. I would love to hear you guys play 1812.
ttf_LeoInFL

Bolero!

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

CFC Arts is a community orchestra in Orlando. 160+ members. 4 bones on 1st, 4 on 2nd, 2 bones & 3 euphs on 3rd. I think there are 12 trumpets, 20 flutes, 20 clarinets, 5 oboes, dozens of strings, etc. Even with all the bones in the section, it can be a struggle balancing all that 'treble-ness'.

ttf_Steven

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Stan on Oct 18, 2017, 09:39AMIt's been my experience that they've got the hardest job:  Playing THAT for 15 minutes, on a snare drum, and keeping the tempo steady.  That's beyond some snare drummers....

and starting so very quiet, basically doing a piece-long crescendo.  Often for "Bolero", the snare drummer is moved from their usual comfortable position in the back row to somewhere very visible.  It is a strange feature.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Bolero!

And old guys like me can't hear Bolero without thinking about Bo Derek running down the beach.
ttf_Steven

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Oct 18, 2017, 06:05PMCFC Arts is a community orchestra in Orlando. 160+ members. 4 bones on 1st, 4 on 2nd, 2 bones & 3 euphs on 3rd. I think there are 12 trumpets, 20 flutes, 20 clarinets, 5 oboes, dozens of strings, etc. Even with all the bones in the section, it can be a struggle balancing all that 'treble-ness'.

Where in the world do you guys practice and perform? 
ttf_Steven

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Oct 19, 2017, 11:39AMAnd old guys like me can't hear Bolero without thinking about Bo Derek running down the beach.

or Torvill and Dean...
ttf_LeoInFL

Bolero!

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Quote from: Steven on Oct 20, 2017, 07:46AMWhere in the world do you guys practice and perform? 

We practice in a carpeted gym on the campus of Calvary Assembly (megachurch). We perform on Calvary's giant auditorium/stage. When we're asked to accompany the 350-voice choir (same music organization) or occasionally play for the ballet downtown, a smaller select orchestra of about 50 is chosen. With the smaller groups, only 3 bones play. I've been fortunate to play on every performance (large and small) since I joined the group 2 years ago.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Just finished doing a weird Bolero arrangement this weekend on a Pops concert - shortened quite a bit, and the trombone solo was harmonized and accompanied by the rest of the section. Kind of fun for a change - misery loves company!

The arrangement still had all of the repetitions on the solo, and the ending up to high "D's" - tough blow at the end of a Pops Concert! I broke in my new .525 bore Edwards that I've put together from used parts online - great horn for a concert that has a combination of commercial and classical repertoire.

Enjoy your chance to play Bolero!

Jim Scott
ttf_BGuttman

Bolero!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Well, at least that's better than the arrangement I have for small orchestra where the trombone solo was eliminated Image
ttf_Steven

Bolero!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 22, 2017, 05:36AMWell, at least that's better than the arrangement I have for small orchestra where the trombone solo was eliminated Image

I remember playing a wind ensemble arrangement, where the trombone solo went somewhere else.  We mostly played the pizzicatos.  Fun stuff...  I think the key was changed too.  We did keep the elephant calls at the end.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bolero!

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

We just tested an arrangement of "do you hear what I hear? " in prep for December that quotes bolero. That one went into the shredder immediately.
ttf_djdekok

Bolero!

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Playing Bolero on Saturday on a program with Scheherazade and Polvetzian Dances. Image

St. Cecilia, pray for us!

Here's a link: https://sites.google.com/site/warminstersymphonyorchestra/home
ttf_djdekok

Bolero!

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Playing Bolero on Saturday on a program with Scheherazade and Polvetzian Dances. Image

St. Cecilia, pray for us!

Here's a link: https://sites.google.com/site/warminstersymphonyorchestra/home

Return to “Performance”