Suggestions for fun bone solo with band

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have talked my community band director into letting me do a solo at our Spring concert next year and am looking for something that would be fun for both me and the band. I would like to play something that is challenging, but not necessarily virtuostic ('cause I am not one). Something with a few smears or other light moments would be good as well. And the band part should be fun, because when I am in a band, my least favorite thing is backing up a soloist.

Fire away the suggestions Image
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Michel Defaye Deux Danses. Lots of fun, a little jazzy.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: hyperbolica on Aug 15, 2017, 07:12PMMichel Defaye Deux Danses. Lots of fun, a little jazzy.

Is there a bone with band version? I'm not seeing it at Hickeys.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Go to BandMusicPDF.org and find something called "Air Varie" (based on a 19th century tune called "The Old Home Down on the Farm") by Fred Harlow (I think it's a pen name for Henry Fillmore).  It's a Theme and Variation, but not difficult.  There is a spot where you do a downward scale going to low F.  I "play" with the band on this -- sometimes going VERY slow and sometimes with long gaps because they are supposed to play on top of the F.

If you don't have the solo part (not on BandMusicPDF) I can mail you a scan.
ttf_MikeBMiller

I looked at Hickeys last night and I think I am going to shoot for Reflective Mood by Sammy Nestico.

Here's Scott Hartman making it look easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5_2z2yx7os
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Aug 16, 2017, 05:55AMI looked at Hickeys last night and I think I am going to shoot for Reflective Mood by Sammy Nestico.

That chart was all the rage in the 60's for high school recitals.

Jazz it up!

...Geezer
ttf_MikeBMiller

I am operating under the theory that it is better to play something less difficult and play it well than to try the DeMeij and stink it up.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm with you.  That's why I play the stuff I do.  There are lots of solos on BandMusicPDF.org that are easy but sound impressive.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Aug 16, 2017, 07:46AMI am operating under the theory that it is better to play something less difficult and play it well than to try the DeMeij and stink it up.

Oh, absolutely! Even a "simple" piece can be devilishly hard if you go as deep as you can into your own tone, articulation, intonation, etc. How many of us can play a piece completely perfectly in all aspects? No one.

Anyway, take some liberties on the cadenzas. They don't need to be played "as written". Cadenzas, as I am sure you know, are parts where a player can deviate to show off or fool around for amusement. Perhaps find a popular melody line to insert into a cadenza; something funny. Do some special effects for fun; flutter-tonguing, long glisses, pedal tones, etc. Just putting some ideas out that you probably have already thought of...

Or just play the whole thing totally straight. The nice thing is, you are the artist. Maybe have someone record the performance for you?

...Geezer  
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Aug 16, 2017, 05:55AMI looked at Hickeys last night and I think I am going to shoot for Reflective Mood by Sammy Nestico.

There's another piece in that genre called "Persuasion".  I did it.  Not terribly difficult for band or soloist.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I would recommend you try it out on a non musical listener. 

It isn't always easy for us to judge what is accessible.

I've listened to concertos at ETW/ATW off and on since, oh, 1996 or so.  Though the artistry is amazing, very few of them would work for ordinary people.  Some of them didn't even work for me. 

The Bayrische Polka and Old Oaken Bucket links I posted would work for older audiences.  I don't know what will work for a young crowd.  Never saw one at a community band concert though. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I would recommend you try it out on a non musical listener. 

It isn't always easy for us to judge what is accessible.

I've listened to concertos at ETW/ATW off and on since, oh, 1996 or so.  Though the artistry is amazing, very few of them would work for ordinary people.  Some of them didn't even work for me. 

The Bayrische Polka and Old Oaken Bucket links I posted would work for older audiences.  I don't know what will work for a young crowd.  Never saw one at a community band concert though. 

Return to “Performance”