The beast returns?

ttf_Stewbones43

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

This is either a day many have been dreading or a day some have been waiting for; the return of the straight bass trombone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Slide-Trombone-for-Army-Band-Made-of-Brass-Eb-Pitch-W-Free-Case-Mouthpc-/172799529986?hash=item283ba79402:g:lsYAAOSwOAZZfZOF

It is described as a bass or military trombone and is said to be pitched in Eb (dubious). It also seems to have the swivel attachment on the hand slide cross bar for a handle like the old basses in G,F and Eb. There is no slide-to-bell lock, just a friction fit joint and I suspect there is no slide lock. The bore size is not stated and neither is the bell although it looks very small-7.5-8.0in. The length of the instrument is said to be 110cm (just over 43inches) so it is either an alto! or they are measuring the length of the 2 parts laid side by side in a case. The best feature of the instrument is the chrome plated finish; it will never need cleaning!

It seems that the Indian brass instrument industry has based its designs on what was left behind when the British army left India in 1947 and they only left behind old, out-dated or obsolete models!

I urge you to buy these before they sell out! They may not make any more.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_jnoxon

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_jnoxon »

Wonder why the spit valve appears to be on the mouthpiece side of the slide instead of the bottom side? Makes it a little hard to empty that way.......
ttf_BGuttman

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I wonder why they didn't include the handle.  Are all bass trombone players in India Sikhs like the cartoon character Punjab? Image
ttf_Stewbones43

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 30, 2017, 12:34PMI wonder why they didn't include the handle.  Are all bass trombone players in India Sikhs like the cartoon character Punjab? Image

I suspect the one that they have cloned this one from had the handle missing! This is a problem with cloning; the missing bits are still missing.

The cartoon has passed me by; is it only a US thing?

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_BGuttman

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Punjab was a character in Harold Gray's "Little Orphan Annie".  Punjab is an 8 foot tall Sikh.  He wouldn't need the handle on that trombone.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

From little orphan annie.

I think they are actually more like this guy:

ttf_harrison.t.reed

The beast returns?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

From little orphan annie.

I think they are actually more like this guy:

Return to “Musical Miscellany”