Clip-On Mics for Trombone

tbdana

Clip-On Mics for Trombone

Post by tbdana »

What's best?
ssking2b

Re: Clip-On Mics for Trombone

Post by ssking2b »

I have used an AKG for years and loved it (wired to a belt- pack). Now I need a wireless mic that is self-contained with no wire to a belt pack. I got a Samson AWX horn mic and it is excellent on my trombones. I use the AKG mic on my tuba and euphonium.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technic ... dYQAvD_BwE

This is one of the best in terms of what you get for the money. I've used this since a few years now and always been happy with the sound and the price is very fair compared to other products on the market. A colleague who's very busy in the Amsterdam recording scene recommended this to me after testing out several different clip-on mics.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I second the pro-35. Great for the price and incredibly durable. Had mine for almost 15 years, used it heavily, and it lives in my case while on the road- has taken a beating and works the exact same as when I got it.
trombone and composition faculty at CalArts
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
JerryY

Post by JerryY »

I like my pro - 35 also.
nelson31

Post by nelson31 »

I have heard good things about this wireless system from Nux. I briefly played one on a stage recently at soundcheck and it sounded fine to those around me.

Nux produces a lot of wireless setups for guitar and bass rigs and are a great value for the money. I saw some reviews on YouTube stacking them against more expensive wireless rigs and they are negligible.

There are also adapters out there to connect other brand microphones to the unit if you really wanted to, however, I do not think it is a necessary upgrade.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/nux-b-6sax ... MIQAvD_BwE

Absolute best quality is probably the DPA 4099. They set you back around $600 new, though, and that is only to clip a cable to your belt. Add another $300-500 if you want to go full wireless.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I've enjoyed using the Shure beta 98h/c.

I currently own 3 of them (2 XLRs and 1 wireless), I also use one with an entertainment company I work for.

I will say though, I do like most products that Audio Technica comes out with. In fact, my studio cans (ATH-M40x) and microphone (AT 4050) are Audio Technica products. The Pro-35 is great too! I just don't own one. I didn't purchase the XLR one when I was looking at a new Beta 98 because the cable length is only 6' compared to Shure's 10' cord.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

JLivi wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:07 pm I've enjoyed using the Shure beta 98h/c.

I currently own 3 of them (2 XLRs and 1 wireless), I also use one with an entertainment company I work for.

I will say though, I do like most products that Audio Technica comes out with. In fact, my studio cans (ATH-M40x) and microphone (AT 4050) are Audio Technica products. The Pro-35 is great too! I just don't own one. I didn't purchase the XLR one when I was looking at a new Beta 98 because the cable length is only 6' compared to Shure's 10' cord.
I just played on the Shure 98hc XLR last night, and it sounded fairly good. How does it compare to AT?
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Another question: are there good wireless clip-on mikes that do not wire to a belt battery pack? NUX says its range is 20 meters. Is that to the mixing board, where the receiver would be? Because that's not far enough. Can the receiver of NUX or any other wireless mic be run via 1/4" or XLR cable to somewhere near the transmitter?

Yes, I'm completely ignorant. Someone once told me, "Never buy a P.A." and I have taken that to heart. :D
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

tbdana wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:35 pm Another question: are there good wireless clip-on mikes that do not wire to a belt battery pack?
I’ve heard decent things about the AMT p808

https://appliedmicrophone.com/product/p808/

As far as the AT pro 35 vs the shure beta 98 I can’t really give you a good comparison because it’s been so long since I’ve played on the pro 35. I remember not hating it.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
dembones

Post by dembones »

nelson31 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:58 am I have heard good things about this wireless system from Nux. I briefly played one on a stage recently at soundcheck and it sounded fine to those around me.

Absolute best quality is probably the DPA 4099. They set you back around $600 new, though, and that is only to clip a cable to your belt. Add another $300-500 if you want to go full wireless.
I have a DPA 4099 wired, which is great.

But a few months ago I got a NUX B-6 "Saxophone" wireless. It sounds great. Among other things I play in a loud steely dan band with four horns - three of us use the NUX. The other player uses a wired stand mic, whatever the venue provides, but where we play there is high-end sound. There is no discernible difference in sound quality. I also use it sometimes on jazz gigs where there is a PA or I bring something to reinforce. It sounds great there, too.

It's very convenient to use - the case has a battery that you charge, the case charges the mic and receiver. And it's $199 on Amazon - really great value. Highly recommend.
nelson31

Post by nelson31 »

dembones wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:50 pm
nelson31 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:58 am I have heard good things about this wireless system from Nux. I briefly played one on a stage recently at soundcheck and it sounded fine to those around me.

I have a DPA 4099 wired, which is great.

But a few months ago I got a NUX B-6 "Saxophone" wireless. It sounds great. Among other things I play in a loud steely dan band with four horns - three of us use the NUX. The other player uses a wired stand mic, whatever the venue provides, but where we play there is high-end sound. There is no discernible difference in sound quality. I also use it sometimes on jazz gigs where there is a PA or I bring something to reinforce. It sounds great there, too.

It's very convenient to use - the case has a battery that you charge, the case charges the mic and receiver. And it's $199 on Amazon - really great value. Highly recommend.
Glad to hear some more positive feedback on the Nux. I think I’m going to sell my Shure wireless setup and get one!
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

Sound wise from everything I tried including DPA and AMT mics the Neumann MCM114 is the best. It’s probably the most expensive one but sound wise it’s fantastic. Unfortunately the only place I use a clip on is with a wedding band where no one cares what the mic sounds like anyway so I haven’t wanted to spend the money on it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds
Luke Malewicz
Yamaha Artist and Clinician
Freelance Trombonist/Educator in the Chicago Area
www.LowBrassLuke.com
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I just used the Neumann on a tour for the last year and will continue using it. It has a slightly higher spl than even the DPA extreme (I think yellow is extreme, red is lower, confusing lol).

The DPA clip is annoying and with the Neumann the horn finally sounded like an instrument and not just a loud sound in my IEMs.

I will say one of the Neumanns seemed to get weaker, maybe the cable weakened or it got blown out. I’m speculating that they are not the most durable choice.

However, all the choices are solid. I really like Shure Betas. I also have an SD systems mic (LDM94) which I love the sound of (and the tripod clip is great when you’re not using mutes or a trombone stand).

I never used the AMT. a lot of friends like them. Maybe 10 years ago the tech seemed a little ehhh (colleagues discussing continually bringing batteries to recharge, signal problems). But I think it’s improved quite a bit. Might check it out again at some point for true wireless, but I really want to try this NUX B-6!

Return to “Technology”