Tell me about B.A.C.Custom Trombones

tbdana

Tell me about B.A.C.Custom Trombones

Post by tbdana »

What do you know? Does anyone here play one? What do they cost and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

I'll tell you that Elliot Mason's sound on them is not the best to my ears, but that's a personal thing, and could have something to do with his mouthpiece. But I'm told they play very open in every range, and changing between partials is solid and easy.

What can you tell me? I know nothing.
Fruitysloth

Re: Tell me about B.A.C.Custom Trombones

Post by Fruitysloth »

There's quite a few threads already covering this. To condense things down: Some people stand by them, some people hate them, there's a bunch of us that can't justify spending that amount on a custom horn, there's some that can. I think they're cool looking for what they are, and some of them play pretty great, but your results may vary. Elliot Mason for sure has a unique sound, which I personally love, but he's going to sound like himself on anything he plays. Other forum members will chime in, I'm sure, but that's the whole spiel so far on here.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I played on the Elliott Mason prototype horn and it was very easy to play, but quite large for the kind of work he uses it for. For my money, he sounds great on that horn. I might even have looked into getting one if the outer slide brace was made thicker.

I thought the construction was great. I didn't like the wire thin outer slide hand bracing.

Other than that one, I've liked zero BAC horns that I've tried, and some of the vanity projects they have done are not exactly my taste for aesthetics.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Some of my very favorite sounds are on these horns. And some of them are... Not.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:07 pm
Other than that one, I've liked zero BAC horns that I've tried, and some of the vanity projects they have done are not exactly my taste for aesthetics.
Like Harrison, I've I tried one B.A.C. trombone that I liked - owned by their artist / rep (a fine trombonist) and "fine-tuned." Not for sale. Others I've tried - not so much. But I certainly have not done an exhaustive survey.

"Vanity projects" is good nomenclature. Sort of like designer underwear to me.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

One of my students had their sort of Bach 42 type horn. I really didn't enjoy playing it.

It ended up having a significant build issue and they had a hell of a time getting it fixed as it ended up having pretty unusual sized parts and couldn't find a tech with the right sized stuff. I don't know how common that is across models (or was a tech issue in the area), but always has left me feeling wary about the brand.
trombone and composition faculty at CalArts
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

This is a big can of worms here on Trombone Chat...maybe one of the biggest?

I have played a ton of BAC horns. Trombones, trumpets, bass trumpets, marching brass. Here's what I'll say.

I've played the most BAC small tenors, and out of the couple dozens I've tried there were about 2 that I thought were actually good. There were a couple others that were decent, and the rest were different flavors of terrible.

I've played 2 BAC bass trombones. I was not a fan of the Reggie Chapman model. The non-custom model, Chinese-made, was one of the worst bass trombones I've ever played.

The Bb trumpets are pretty good. Not spectacular but I don't remember playing one that I thought was a bad horn. But why you would spend that kind of money on a BAC trumpet when Yamaha Xenos, Schilkes, Bachs, etc. all cost less and are better horns is beyond me.

The bass trumpet plays ok, but costs more than a new Bach and much more than a really nice used old MV or NY Bach. In no universe is that worth it.

The BAC marching brass is all Jinbao - they even still SAY Jinbao on the valve blocks. But naturally they still have the BAC markup. The least worth it of all time.

Some people make them work. But to me, all the big artists who play BAC make them work because they can make anything work.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My friend had a Bb trumpet from them with the pigtail bracing -- it fell apart mid set. The bracing literally detached in three spots.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

If Liberace was a tromboneplayer he would have playedBAC Horns… 🤣
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've played BAC edited classics that I liked, but never anything made/designed by BAC. A 32H I had was very well done. A couple others I don't remember. These very likely were great horns before BAC got them. At least one of these I bought direct from BAC for a surprisingly reasonable price.

But I would probably avoid their custom stuff. Being good working with existing horns is different from being a good designer.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

The only professional players I know that still use them will sound good on anything and/or don’t know/care about trombone gear.

The best BAC horns are the ones I spent hundreds of dollars getting rebuilt by NYC brass techs in order to feel comfortable selling them to other players lol
ncmusic

Post by ncmusic »

I've tried their horns a few times at NAMM and really dug the Paseo Model, thought it was really easy to play and got a nice sound. Placed an order to do a custom build with them and am excited about it. I'm looking forward to building something with them and am very much hoping it'll be my go-to horn for a long time.
Last edited by ncmusic on Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ncmusic wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:45 pm Not a popular take, but I've tried their horns a few times at NAMM and really dug the Paseo Model, thought it was really easy to play and got a nice sound. Placed an order to do a custom build with them and am excited about it. I'm looking forward to building something with them and am very much hoping it'll be my go-to horn for a long time.
Nick,

"Popular" doesn't matter much here. Honest evaluations and opinions based on actual experience and knowledge are much more valuable (and valued).

Good luck with your B.A.C. custom.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

ncmusic wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:45 pm Not a popular take, but I've tried their horns a few times at NAMM and really dug the Paseo Model, thought it was really easy to play and got a nice sound. Placed an order to do a custom build with them and am excited about it. I'm looking forward to building something with them and am very much hoping it'll be my go-to horn for a long time.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of both the instrument and the process of acquiring it. That sort of first-hand information would be quite useful to anyone considering buying a BAC instrument in the future.
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

RJMason wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:37 pm The best BAC horns are the ones I spent hundreds of dollars getting rebuilt by NYC brass techs in order to feel comfortable selling them to other players lol
:)
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

The horns I`ve tried have all underwhelmed me. Last Jan I ot to try one of the signature Christopher Bill models.
I thought the sound was very bright and had an almost brittle quality to it.
Not my cup of tea.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I played on one of the early BAC .500 bore horns for a couple of years. I was actually his second customer. After the honeymoon, I found that it just didn’t have the flexibility that I needed. The sound just didn’t project like I wanted, and I couldn’t cut through when needed. When I moved to my current setup, it was a HUGE relief. Just wasn’t for me.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:
VoigtBrass Artist

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Lätzsch 3KB1+1
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Tbarh wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:41 pm If Liberace was a tromboneplayer he would have playedBAC Horns… 🤣
That is true - I've seen his museum. :P
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Is something up with the BAC site?
Clipboard01ccc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

All seems to be O.K. this afternoon.

https://www.coolisbac.com/

Return to “Instruments”