Bourgeois Quartet, Triton Recording

confusedtrombonedude

Bourgeois Quartet, Triton Recording

Post by confusedtrombonedude »

Hi, I've been listening to the Triton Quartet's recording of Derek Bourgeois' trombone quartet and it sounds like they're playing everything a minor third than every other recording that I have heard. Does anyone know why this might be or could it be that they are just playing a different version?

Thanks.
WilliamLang

Re: Bourgeois Quartet, Triton Recording

Post by WilliamLang »

I hear that too - might be an alto version for Olaf Ott, cause he sounds absolutely great on those high notes.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Artist, Long Island Brass and Stephens Horns
Faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

There used to be a Youtube video of them playing it live (maybe in Japan?). I also remember it being a minor third higher and Olaf Ott playing on alto.

The following link confirms this and also tells the exact instruments that are played:
https://www.musik-sammler.de/release/tr ... d-1128795/

As Hermann Bäumer I think played a single valve bass, the Bourgeois also certainly got a bit easier this way.

BTW that CD is really worth listening!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

That's the original version of the Bourgeois Quartet, I believe. He did a second version in a lower key because there were so few groups that could pull that version off, particularly as part of a full concert. That recording is fantastic, as are all of the Triton Quartet recordings. What a fantastic group. Olaf Ott is great - especially on alto, and Hermann Baumer has such a great sound! I know he played various German horns on their later recordings, but he was using a Bach 50 with the 10.5" bell on the first one or two CD's.

In a slightly related matter, I would love to purchase a copy of Baumer's arrangement of the Dukas - Fanfare from La Peri for 4 trombones. It's a completely convincing version of the piece (originally for a full orchestral brass section) and the pitch of the Triton players makes those harmonies come to life! I've looked for it before with no success.

Jim Scott
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:10 am In a slightly related matter, I would love to purchase a copy of Baumer's arrangement of the Dukas - Fanfare from La Peri for 4 trombones. It's a completely convincing version of the piece (originally for a full orchestral brass section) and the pitch of the Triton players makes those harmonies come to life! I've looked for it before with no success.

Jim Scott
Oooooh, yeah. I'd buy that too! I've got a brass quintet version.

Return to “Performance”