2024 International Trombone Festival impressions

Looking for opportunities?
yeodoug

2024 International Trombone Festival impressions

Post by yeodoug »

Hello all,

Last week, the 2024 International Trombone Festival was held at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas. Around 1000 trombonists from around the world were in attendance and I was very happy to be one of them.

I've written some impressions and reflections about the Festival, an event that I and many others already feel was the most impactful ITF ever:

https://thelasttrombone.com/2024/06/06/ ... -festival/

I'd love to hear impressions from TromboneChat readers who attended the Festival or watched the Festival livestream.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)

www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
harrisonreed

Re: 2024 International Trombone Festival impressions

Post by harrisonreed »

That's incredible! Congratulations on your recognition there, both by the ITF and by Yamaha.

I'm sure it was spectacular but I don't envy you the high pressure playing and lecturing you did, sans sleep, the day you arrived!

Some day I'll be able to attend...
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

That looked like an insanely stressful start to the festival for you. I'm glad you made it alright. Driving on low or no sleep is awful and honestly scary.

I tried to go last year but I got sick, so this year was my first time attending. The festival this year snuck up on me and I only wound up getting a 2-day pass even though it was only a few hours away. The whole thing blew me away, though, and the next time I attend I'll definitely do all 4 days and spend more time there each day. I got to listen to a few performances, and I prioritized trombone choirs where I had options because I figured this was the only context I'd likely get to hear them. Getting to see the vendor halls was great, too. I really haven't played many trombones before outside of the ones I've owned, so it was cool to get to play a bunch and compare with what I have. I actually even scooped up a QAlessi alto trombone I played there that really impressed me, especially compared to the alto that I have. I also got a new bass mouthpiece, because it was a unique opportunity for me to actually play test mouthpieces too. On my second day there, I did a group warm-up session that felt really good for me, and listened to a participant choir rehearsal. I really want to play in one of those next year.

The last event I went to before I had to come back home was actually the round table on trombone research with you, Benny Sluchin, and Simon Wills. I really didn't know what to expect going in, but I'm really glad I went to listen. I didn't know what kind of trombone research it would be (acoustics, music, history, etc), but I enjoyed getting the glimpse into what research in the field for DMAs looked like. My little bit of research experience is in a totally different field, so the discussion felt especially informative. After listening to that, I wish that I could have made the other round table or your presentation.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I enjoy the times when I just get in my car and do a long drive to get somewhere - but not with crazy long hours of driving. That 2-day "return" trip kind of driving can be really nice. If I can, I always opt to do that rather than fly.

Is there somewhere I can look to find info relating to that Rochut lecture?
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:20 am I enjoy the times when I just get in my car and do a long drive to get somewhere - but not with crazy long hours of driving. That 2-day "return" trip kind of driving can be really nice. If I can, I always opt to do that rather than fly.

Is there somewhere I can look to find info relating to that Rochut lecture?
Unfortunately, the ITF livestream was not working in Cliburn Band Room for the first part of the Festival (including during my Rochut presentation) due to a power outage that had occurred several hours earlier. I am writing an article about Joannès Rochut that will appear in the January 2025 ITA Journal. My presentation was but the tip of the iceberg of his remarkable story, a much fuller presentation of which will appear in my article. Stay tuned.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)

www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Thanks for sharing all these great details about the ITF, Doug.

Congrats on the well-deserved award as well.

You must have had so much swag to take home that it's good thing you drove, and avoided an additional luggage fee!

Phil G.
elainechat

Post by elainechat »

It sounds like it was an incredible Festival. I'm sure it was overwhelming at times with all the activity, but also extremely rewarding to reconnect with so many colleagues and former students. Congratulations again on receiving such a prestigious award - you certainly made an impact on the trombone world!
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

This was by far the best ITF that I can remember. Your presentation on Rochut was fantastic! I’m looking forward to more of what you have on him. Highlights for me, other than your Rochut presentation (of course 😉) were:

Natalie Cressman’s performance was just spectacular… I left wanting more and more.

Finally meeting David Taylor was just a special moment for me.

Wycliff Gordon is always a joy!

Jim Nova’s movie presentation was epic.

Brad Jensen’s Middle Earth was equally epic.

Catching up with old friends is always good, as well as making new ones. It was really good finally meeting in person several “online friends” who I’ve had many conversations with… John Ohnstad, David Wilborn, and Alex Iles were the high points… and, of course, running into you on our way to another venue.

Speaking of Alex Iles… his presentation on the opening day way great!

The American Brass Quintet was flawless and worth the entire trip.

Meeting and talking with Hillary Simms was a joy, and her playing (and singing) on her presentation and with the ABQ was spectacular.

The International Women’s Choir was SO good, and then they teamed up with Monarch Brass!!! Wow!

Texas A&M Kingsville put on a fantastic program under Oscar Diaz!

The Youth Workshop was fantastic. I had a couple of students attend, and their presentation was great! And… nothing but smiles every time I saw them.

It’s going to be hard to top this ITF… but we’re already making plans for Canada next year!
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:
VoigtBrass Artist

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Lätzsch 3KB1+1
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

ITF 2025 will be held at Western University in London, Ontario, Canada: July 16 - 19, 2025.

I’ve been waiting for something like this for years. Mind you, still 4200 kilometres away.
Emmanem

Post by Emmanem »

I attended the festival for the first time as a student worker, and to have the opportunity to network, watch, and play was a wonderful opportunity that I am greatful to have had. The presentations and performances were amazing and full of information that I will be able to take back to my university and use.

I hope to see you all in Canada next year!

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”