I have an Edwards slide I can't figure out what kind

IanBassBone

I have an Edwards slide I can't figure out what kind

Post by IanBassBone »

I bought an old Bach 50B3LG and It came with an Edwards slide it says 53 on it. I can't for the life of me find any information on it. It takes large shank mouthpieces but I'm not sure if it's a bass slide or a large bore tenor slide or if it's a single or dual bore. To my eyes, I looks single bore but I have never had a dual-bore slide. :shuffle: Image Here https://imgur.com/a/2rBLIsn
Last edited by IanBassBone on Mon May 27, 2024 10:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
brassmedic

Re: I have an Edwards slide I can't figure out what kind

Post by brassmedic »

Can't you put a large shank mouthpiece in it and see if it fits? I mean, seriously.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Try to put the outer slide over the inners upside down. If it fits, single bore, if not, dual bore.
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

brassmedic wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:21 am Can't you put a large shank mouthpiece in it and see if it fits? I mean, seriously.
Sorry, it auto-corrected on that sentence it was supposed to be a sentence break I meant to say I couldn't find any information on it. It takes a large shank mouthpiece.
Last edited by IanBassBone on Sun May 26, 2024 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:27 am Try to put the outer slide over the inners upside down. If it fits, single bore, if not, dual bore.
I did what you told me and it appears to be single bore thanks but the the rest of the specs seem to be a mystery.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Is there anything engraved on the side of the upper outside slide tube?
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Have a pair of calipers? Or a local repair shop that does? Bore size would be easy then.
To find out what model slide it is, does it have nickel oversleeves? What material are the slide tubes? What material is the crook?
And yeah dual bore means that if you flip the outer slide around it won’t fit together with the inner.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Quick and dirty slide check...

You'll need a standard (i.e., Bach taper) large shank mouthpiece.

GENTLY insert the mouthpiece into the stocking end of the inner.
If it goes in ~1", it's .547".
It it goes in almost to the top of the shank, it's .562"/.565".
If it pretty much falls in, it's .578".
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The 53 is just a production mark. It means nothing. Are there any other letters or numbers anywhere on the slide?
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

The outer slides are brass and so is the crook no other markings on the slide other than another 53 label I put in my regular large bore 51d and it goes pretty far compared to my bass trombone mouthpieces leading me to believe it is either 562 or 565 bore
ZacharyThornton

Large bore is the as bass when it comes to insertion depths. Sounds like a B(ass)A(ll)N(ickel). So a BAN slide. You still haven’t said if you can swap the outer slide tubes to see if it is dual bore.
Edwards would not have made a random .565 bore. That’s not a thing.
Most likely this is a BAN slide which mates well with a Gold Bach bell.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Zach, I think you mean BAB (All Brass). He stated the outers are brass as is the crook.

Given it was paired with a Bach 50B3 bell, it's likely it's a bass slide around 0.562" (14.3 mm). If his mouthpiece shank test gave different insertion depths for the different tubes it would likely have been dual bore, but he reports they were the same.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

If its all brass and .562 wouldn't it be B-Std?
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

I think it is a BAB given the description thanks for all the help, man all this can be pretty confusing. I'm a little confused as to why they didn't mark anything else on it than a number seems kind of unhelpful.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

IanBassBone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm I think it is a BAB given the description thanks for all the help, man all this can be pretty confusing. I'm a little confused as to why they didn't mark anything else on it than a number seems kind of unhelpful.
There’s usually a light etching in the upper outer tube that says “Edwards B-Std” or such. How, exactly did you know it was an Edwards? And as it is the standard, it doesn’t really need any of the modifiers to identify it.

(That said, I think all modular horns should have serial numbers on all major parts to at least identify year of manufacture)

Cheers,
Andy
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

elmsandr wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:59 am
IanBassBone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm I think it is a BAB given the description thanks for all the help, man all this can be pretty confusing. I'm a little confused as to why they didn't mark anything else on it than a number seems kind of unhelpful.
There’s usually a light etching in the upper outer tube that says “Edwards B-Std” or such. How, exactly did you know it was an Edwards? And as it is the standard, it doesn’t really need any of the modifiers to identify it.

(That said, I think all modular horns should have serial numbers on all major parts to at least identify year of manufacture)

Cheers,
Andy
The Seller listed it as coming with an Edwards slide and fit the look of all the Edwards slides I could find, but its a pretty old slide.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

IanBassBone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:16 pmI put in my regular large bore 51d and it goes pretty far compared to my bass trombone mouthpieces...
Something doesn't make sense here.
A mouthpiece for a large shank tenor (like a Jupiter 1150 listed in the OP's profile) should have the same shank dimensions as a standard bass trombone mouthpiece. Whether they're being inserted into a mouthpiece receiver or (GENTLY!) into the stocking end of an inner slide tube, there should be no difference in how far they go in.
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

JohnL wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:21 am
IanBassBone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:16 pmI put in my regular large bore 51d and it goes pretty far compared to my bass trombone mouthpieces...
Something doesn't make sense here.
A mouthpiece for a large shank tenor (like a Jupiter 1150 listed in the OP's profile) should have the same shank dimensions as a standard bass trombone mouthpiece. Whether they're being inserted into a mouthpiece receiver or (GENTLY!) into the stocking end of an inner slide tube, there should be no difference in how far they go in.
There wasn't very much difference when I tried another large shank mouthpiece my 51D is kinda beat up so I think that is the reason was any difference at all but there wasn't a huge difference to begin with I think I exaggerated a bit. I'm new to this sorry trying to be descriptive.
ZacharyThornton

Yeah misread I misread nickel somehow.
Pictures would clear this up really easily.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

https://www.edwards-instruments.com/tro ... ne-slides/

They do not list all options here, but I think what you are describing is the B-STD, which has yellow brass tubes with no oversleeves and a yellow brass crook.
IanBassBone

Post by IanBassBone »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:28 am Yeah misread I misread nickel somehow.
Pictures would clear this up really easily.
Sorry just got ability to add links and stuff picture here https://imgur.com/a/2rBLIsn
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Looks like B-STD as Gabe said - all yellow brass - no oversleeves.

Jim Scott

Return to “Instruments”