King 3BF comfort

Londontonightfreestyle

King 3BF comfort

Post by Londontonightfreestyle »

So I had just got this King 3BF and love it. The only downside is that because I have large hands the F attachment is very uncomfortable. I like the trombone but it’s just this one thing that gets on my nerves. So I wanted to see if anyone knew of any other trombones that is close to the same as the 3BF but has a different style of an F attachment.
Burgerbob

Re: King 3BF comfort

Post by Burgerbob »

Honestly, no, there really isn't anything else.

I use a Neotech grip with mine that makes it quite comfortable.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Briande

Post by Briande »

It’s really too bad Benge didn’t make a 3BF equivalent.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H. Conn 10H.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Carol Brass makes one. Open wrap, modern trigger style, squared nickel slide crook, but otherwise appears to be a Carol 3BF.

No idea how it plays though, and while Carol horns can be excellent it's hard to believe it's as good as a typical 3BF. The Neotech grip makes a HUGE difference on the 3BF, as Burgerbob mentioned. I'd personally just go with that.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I feel a bit embarrassed to say this aloud, but what the heck. I have a beautiful 3BF SS that I rarely play due to the discomfort of the trigger. I’ve been thinking of selling it here on TC, where I bought it.

I play with a strap or a Neotech on my other horns, but until this thread hadn’t thought to try the Neotech on my 3BF… Thanks Aiden and Tiffany for showing me the obvious. :shuffle:
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

If a grip device doesn’t work, Oberloh in Seattle modifies such things at a more reasonable cost than you might think. There may be someone in UK or in the continent that does such things. Kuhnl & Hoyer makes a 0.512 bore Bart van Lier with quite a few options, including the f-attachment. Thomann also lists it.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Arvopart17

Post by Arvopart17 »

I just took delivery on a Voigt valve section for my Rath R2 with 8” yellow cut bell and yellow brass slide. It’s an amazing horn and is pretty comfortable.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I have humongous hands and the 3BF is comfy for me. You have to hold the thing so that the cork tube sits on the heel of your palm, as opposed to the crossbrace resting the weight on the web of your thumb.
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

Back to say that I did my morning routine on my 3BF with the Neotech on it and it’s a huge improvement for me. I might just keep the horn.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

👍
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Doldom

Post by Doldom »

Counterweight may help,too.
I can't use older yamaha trombone strap on 3BF because slide is too narrow, but newer strap (TBHS2) work wonderfully.
Also there's a brand named Curtis, and their strap works well too. (there are two versions, both work well)
Consider these if the Neotech feels too bulky.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I know this isn’t helpful, but the fact that Yamaha hasn’t come out with one of these is mind boggling. An 891-ZF would be very popular.

And if I could get an 891-ZFD I’d buy it the second I could order one.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

JLivi wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:10 pm I know this isn’t helpful, but the fact that Yamaha hasn’t come out with one of these is mind boggling. An 891-ZF would be very popular.

And if I could get an 891-ZFD I’d buy it the second I could order one.
This actually does exist, just not in the standard catalog. At least 6 892ZX (891Z with F, technically an artist model for Håkan Björkman) were made from 891Zs for the Swedish market. You could probably custom order one.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

I really want an f on my 891ZD, but the US reps deny the 892ZX’s existence, despite evidence on the internet. You would have to convince Yamaha Europe to make it for you in Hamburg. Hakan lately has been seen playing on the 882OD.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I didn't realize that Hakan stopped playing his Conn trombones.

Return to “Instruments”