Slide end bumper?

ssking2b

Re: Slide end bumper?

Post by ssking2b »

several of us started an online joke about this 20 years ago on the first trombone list server. Hard to believe this stupid topic is still around!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:27 pm
tonyycanolli wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:15 pm

Lol I was searching for people's opinions on the con 88h's springs at the slide bumper and this was recommended to me
Aha! The proximal end of the slide, not the distal (end crook / water valve) end.
I am a fan of the spring bumpers on my 1972 Conn 88H.
I like the ability to tune at the uncompressed spring and still be able to squeeze a little sharper for any flat-in-first-position notes.
I too appreciate slide springs - King 4BF, King Duo Gravis 6B, retrofitted Getzen 1062 bass bone. The Getzen basses have a bunch of room to play with an extended 1st pos. or you end up with the tuning slide way out.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I like the spring bumpers in my 1964 88H. I removed them for a while, but soon discovered that it was advantageous to have them.
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:27 pm
Aha! The proximal end of the slide, not the distal (end crook / water valve) end.
I am a fan of the spring bumpers on my 1972 Conn 88H.
I like the ability to tune at the uncompressed spring and still be able to squeeze a little sharper for any flat-in-first-position notes.
The trombone personified as patient. Bumper springs serve as:

1) Last chance to tune an uncooperative partial.
2) Preventing pain as the advancing student allows their slide to slam home into first position. (There exists an exercise to eradicate this problem.)
3) Something cool to add panache to the product line.
4) Something a would be inventor could submit a patent application for which if granted, they would add to their curriculum vitae (CV).
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:12 pm Slightly off topic, but does the same hold true for things like pencil holders, hand grips, etc?
Adding my $.02.

I have a pencil in a magnet that sticks to my music stand. Solves the pencil clip problem.

I've tried various grips and the one I felt the best about was the NeoTech. I did do an experiment long ago when i was having fatigue problems. The more I had to GRIP the horn, the less responsive I felt it to be, even less resonant. The Ergobone, for example, gave my horn a really free-blowing feel and bright sound, so bright I didn't like it. And had other problems, like with micro-angle shifts of the horn on the face. But the NeoTech found a sweet spot with minimal reduction in response and color that I could work with.

For various reasons I switched to a Yamaha strap and have a similar feeling playing with that as with the NeoTech. I'll stick with that until I pick out my new horn and then the experimenting starts - or not.
Mostly:
Shires Q36GR with a Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat) ... or ...
Griego Markey 82 or 85

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."

Return to “Modification & Repair”