Bob Havens - Still Going Strong

Discuss the people that make the music here.
officermayo

Bob Havens - Still Going Strong

Post by officermayo »

Just turned 94 and still blowin'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MSgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
OneTon

Re: Bob Havens - Still Going Strong

Post by OneTon »

Wow
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Good to know. Terrific player.
tim

Post by tim »

He is one of the reasons I wanted to learn to play trombone. My folks were diehard Welk fans and we watched the show together every time it was on. I loved the way Bob played. Good to hear he’s still going strong.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

tim wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:41 am He is one of the reasons I wanted to learn to play trombone. My folks were diehard Welk fans and we watched the show together every time it was on. I loved the way Bob played. Good to hear he’s still going strong.
When I was a kid in the 60s, Saturday nights were reserved for watching the show.
My older brother and I would make fun of the silly skits or when they'd try to be hip ("One Toke Over The Line"?).
Mom and Dad would let us goof around, but whenever Bob stood up for a solo, my father would give us that Marine glare and we knew to shut up right away.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MSgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tanstaafl49 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 am I simply wished to share my adoration for Bob Havens that is still going solid besides these years. His devotion to the trombone together with his extraordinary ability have actually motivated many artists. Also currently his efficiencies contain power plus interest, showcasing his proficiency of the tool. It's impressive to see exactly how he remains to affect the globe of jazz as well as big band songs.
Troll?
AI?
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Havens just recently started showing up as a suggestion on my You Tube feed. Very enjoyable player in a trad/swing style, and in one interview piece I saw, seems a decent fellow. Does he have a project right now? I wonder why his stuff is surfacing.
"And that's one man's opinion," Doug Collins, CFJC-TV News 1973-2013
Maxmore

Post by Maxmore »

I enjoyed his Dixieland.
elainechat

Post by elainechat »

Amazing
slideandtraps

Post by slideandtraps »

Bob Havens, Barney Liddell, Kenny Trimble, Pete Lofthouse and Don Staples are inspirations for my learning.

Aside Little Girl, their Lawrence Welk rendition of East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) 1934 Brooks Bowman/Princeton song is a favorite.

2:04, brush on a can, drummer? nice ker-chunk groove accompanies.

Bob plays with masterful Dixieland vibe and Barney has the trombone singing with the mute to my ears; often think of his playing in practicing.

Return to “Musicians”