How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Austin4203

How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Post by Austin4203 »

What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
BGuttman

Re: How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Post by BGuttman »

Your current mouthpiece should be a good start. We generally don't choose mouthpieces based on some "norm".

Sometimes a shallower version of your current mouthpiece can help with high notes, but just because [insert trombone god here] plays something doesn't necessarily mean you should too.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Austin4203 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
For starters, I see that you are currently playing a large bore tenor and bass trombone. I assume that you'll be playing in big band at school, and your band director recommended you for lead trombone? Mouthpieces for small bore trombones usually range in size from 6 1/2AL to 12C. It's just a matter of choosing what you're comfortable with.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What horn will you get?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Austin4203

Post by Austin4203 »

JeffBone44 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:34 pm
Austin4203 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
For starters, I see that you are currently playing a large bore tenor and bass trombone. I assume that you'll be playing in big band at school, and your band director recommended you for lead trombone? Mouthpieces for small bore trombones usually range in size from 6 1/2AL to 12C. It's just a matter of choosing what you're comfortable with.
I have been playing bass bone in jazz for the last three years, and tenor for concert. I'm graduating this year and decided in college i want to play lead in jazz band.
Austin4203

Post by Austin4203 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 pm What horn will you get?
Im hoping i can save up the money to get a king 3b/2b. specifically silver if possible. Ive played one a lot in schmitt music and its my dream horn for sure. Ive tried a lot of other horns too, including gold brass versions which are amazing as well. But the silver 3b was definitely my favorite.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You can really dive into this question, but you can also take a shortcut: Listen for a section in a band you really like and copy their equipment.

I mean, why not? You're not rooted to anything right now. If you learn something that leads you to change, do that later. No need to worry about it now. There's already a huge amount to learn about big band and lead without wrestling with equipment details.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

You don't choose a mouthpiece, the mouthpiece chooses you!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Buy the 3B. What does it come with? A Bach 6 and 1/2 AL? Not the first mpc to come to mind for lead but there will be many who’ll disagree. Doug undoubtedly has something that will work well. A couple of less expensive alternatives that come to mind are a Bach 6 and 3/4 or 7C or maybe a Yamaha Nils Landgren.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

For lead I prefer something like bach 11-12c.
Conn 6H
King 4B/F - waiting for its time in the closet.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If you're going to buy your trombone from Schmitt Music, have Keith Hilson (their trombone expert) help you to select a mouthpiece. He's got good ears!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

^
Ask Keith his advice.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
mazman

Post by mazman »

6 1/2AL, 7C, 11C all work well on the 3B. All are easy to come by. Record yourself and see which one sounds best.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

One word - Marcinkiewicz. The original, not the custom or artist lines. Download their size chart and find a comparison chart online.
Size 11 is very popular for lead playing. 9 is good too, bigger and my own preference. They all deserve a look.
Last edited by Macbone1 on Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Im hoping i can save up the money to get a king 3b/2b. specifically silver if possible. Ive played one a lot in schmitt music and its my dream horn for sure. Ive tried a lot of other horns too, including gold brass versions which are amazing as well. But the silver 3b was definitely my favorite.
I have a great used 2B with a Tempo bell, nickel silver. This one feels a bit more like a 3B since Tempo bells have a bigger throat. No dents, very decent lacquer, silky slide. Can ship in the US for $975 total, PM me if interested. No case. Can also throw in an excellent Jerome Callet mouthpiece; extremely rare and like new condition. Size is close to 6.5 AL but plays punchier.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
240z

Post by 240z »

demo some find a compromise between tone and high playing... a Schilke 47B or bach 7c might be a good start
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

:hi: I agree with the recommendation that you will probably find something between Bach 6 1/2 AL and Bach 12C. I also agree that it is individual so what fits one player may not fit another. We often get these kinds of questions here that both has a definate answer because we probably have one mouthpiece that fits us from years of own experiments but at the same time it is very likely NOT the best for another player. You could do as suggested to get some idea what you want and that is to listen to the best lead players on record/in person and try to play their mouthpiece. That's one way to do it. Chances are big it is not a good fit for you because either that player has extraordinary chops and has years of experiments to find out what mouthpiece he choose or he is one of those who just kept the mouthpiece that came with the horn. If this is true for the best players we can understand there is no straight answer to this question, but you asked what mouthpieces to try. I suppose Bach 6 1/2 AL to Bach 12C covers that bunch. That approach is try everything and keep what works. You will then end up with a lot of mouthpieces that work to choose from, and you might go back and fourth between them for the rest of your life. You will change physically and the music you play will change and what you like will also most likely change. Yet another option is to buy the mouthpiece that someone who knows your playing recommend, an advice that many starters follow. Personally I think this is what you should do at this stage, because you need to start somewhere and your teacher is the one who knows your playing and your needs best (if not you). That is IF he knows how to play trombone or else you just need a professional who can hear you and see you and give you advice in person. Later you can try everything and use what works.

Personally I have more than 100 mouthpieces and they ALL work, and today I have reasons for about 20% of them because of different bones/styles of music/boresizes/parts such as lead, solo, bass etc. I could sell the rest but choose to keep them all because I'll never know. I have changed my mind many times.

Most of my mouthpieces for lead are Bach 11C sized so that is something I like. That size fits my face (but most do) and most important is it gives the sound I want on lead. In some contexts I change to my second mouthpiece which is a Yamaha Nils Landren signature. This is great for solos and in mics. I use a Shires MG-signature when I play classical music on my .500 bore. This is how I consider mouthpiece today but it wasn't when I was young, then I took the advice from my teacher and played what he recommended until he recommended something else. I had NO clue. Good luck!

/Tom
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One other point: costlier is not necessarily better. If you really have no idea what you want or need, get a bunch of cheap (probably used) mouthpieces and try them. Once you have a good idea where you are headed, then look at the more expensive models to see if they are better.

Note that a lot of lead players seem to gravitate to small mouthpieces at the expense of their lower register. If you plan to play a bunch of different trombone roles, don't go too small.

I was primarily a bass trombone player and when I needed to play lead or Dixieland on a small bore I played a Bach 4C.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timbone

Post by timbone »

You have to really find the sound you a looking for. What is it, J J., Frank, Dick Shearer? Steinemyer. Matt Neiss. Curtis, Steve Davis? So many others. The bore of the instrument and mouthpiece will dictate the sound. You have to experiment. On another note, considering Bach, and the size standard, I find the Benge mouthpieces that are similar, to have a better rim feel. Once you reach your conclusion, please post some wavefiles!

Return to “Mouthpieces”