How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Austin4203

How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Post by Austin4203 »

What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
BGuttman

Re: How to choose a jazz mouthpeice?

Post by BGuttman »

Your current mouthpiece should be a good start. We generally don't choose mouthpieces based on some "norm".

Sometimes a shallower version of your current mouthpiece can help with high notes, but just because [insert trombone god here] plays something doesn't necessarily mean you should too.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Austin4203 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
For starters, I see that you are currently playing a large bore tenor and bass trombone. I assume that you'll be playing in big band at school, and your band director recommended you for lead trombone? Mouthpieces for small bore trombones usually range in size from 6 1/2AL to 12C. It's just a matter of choosing what you're comfortable with.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

What horn will you get?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Austin4203

Post by Austin4203 »

JeffBone44 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:34 pm
Austin4203 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm What should i look for in a jazz mouthpiece? Id like to start playing lead trombone in big band, and i know what horn i want, but idk how to choose a mouthpiece. What kind of sounds should i look for and are there any specific mouthpieces i should try?
For starters, I see that you are currently playing a large bore tenor and bass trombone. I assume that you'll be playing in big band at school, and your band director recommended you for lead trombone? Mouthpieces for small bore trombones usually range in size from 6 1/2AL to 12C. It's just a matter of choosing what you're comfortable with.
I have been playing bass bone in jazz for the last three years, and tenor for concert. I'm graduating this year and decided in college i want to play lead in jazz band.
Austin4203

Post by Austin4203 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 pm What horn will you get?
Im hoping i can save up the money to get a king 3b/2b. specifically silver if possible. Ive played one a lot in schmitt music and its my dream horn for sure. Ive tried a lot of other horns too, including gold brass versions which are amazing as well. But the silver 3b was definitely my favorite.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You can really dive into this question, but you can also take a shortcut: Listen for a section in a band you really like and copy their equipment.

I mean, why not? You're not rooted to anything right now. If you learn something that leads you to change, do that later. No need to worry about it now. There's already a huge amount to learn about big band and lead without wrestling with equipment details.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

You don't choose a mouthpiece, the mouthpiece chooses you!
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Buy the 3B. What does it come with? A Bach 6 and 1/2 AL? Not the first mpc to come to mind for lead but there will be many who’ll disagree. Doug undoubtedly has something that will work well. A couple of less expensive alternatives that come to mind are a Bach 6 and 3/4 or 7C or maybe a Yamaha Nils Landgren.
skaskaster

Post by skaskaster »

For lead I prefer something like bach 11-12c.
Conn 6H
King 4B/F - waiting for its time in the closet.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If you're going to buy your trombone from Schmitt Music, have Keith Hilson (their trombone expert) help you to select a mouthpiece. He's got good ears!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

^
Ask Keith his advice.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”