O’Malley Trombone Bells

hiktro

O’Malley Trombone Bells

Post by hiktro »

Hi all,

Dose anyone have any experience with O’Malley Trombone Bells?
I am very interested in a 42 style bell they make.
https://www.omalleyhorns.com/products/trombone-bells

Thank you.
Burgerbob

Re: O’Malley Trombone Bells

Post by Burgerbob »

Benn Hansson has one in 9 inches, he loves it. I'm thinking about one as well.

Keep in mind what makes a Bach bell sound like a Bach is the heat treatment- even with Miles spinning them very well, they are still not exactly like a Bach would be in the end. That said... they are still awesome.
Last edited by Burgerbob on Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hiktro

Post by hiktro »

Thank you Aidan.

I was just looking at the updated BrassArk website and found a cool tenor trombone made by O'Malley Brass.

https://brassark.com/maker_horns/orches ... y-pricing/

I'm getting more and more interested in what they make!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What is up with the finish on those bells? They all have hand print shaped tarnish on them, even in the website photos.
muschem

Post by muschem »

I snagged an O'Malley sterling flare recently (viewtopic.php?p=241119). I really like it.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I understand the O'Malley referenced above is the fabricator's actual name, but it's still an unfortunate situation, where O'Malley is also one of those cheap Chinese stencil brands. I take it these brands are not connected in any way other than this coincidence?

Finetales

Post by Finetales »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:19 am I understand the O'Malley referenced above is the fabricator's actual name, but it's still an unfortunate situation, where O'Malley is also one of those cheap Chinese stencil brands. I take it these brands are not connected in any way other than this coincidence?
No, not connected.

As far as I've read, O'Malley Musical Instruments (the stencil brand) is one of the better places to get a Chinese horn. Not as well known as Wessex or Mack Brass, but they do some degree of QC on their horns. Still, based on their pricing the only thing that I would choose them over the others for is the cimbasso. Wessex prices theirs outrageously now, like a lot of their other stock.

Meanwhile, O'Malley Brass Instruments (the custom shop) is a 4-person team out of Chicago led by Miles O'Malley that makes some really cool custom stuff. They have a bunch of original mandrels and can make any new one you might want, and then spin a bell on it. I can't think of another North American company that offers that.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

Miles makes great bells.

I've ordered two flares from him spun up to 7.8 inches on his Bach mandrels - one was a very thin one piece bell with a brass wire which I ended up selling, and the other is a steel wired, slightly thicker one piece, which works better for me.

Try it before you buy it, because it won't neccessarily be like a traditional "Bach" bell, but Miles does very good work.
hiktro

Post by hiktro »

muschem wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:00 am I snagged an O'Malley sterling flare recently (viewtopic.php?p=241119). I really like it.
Wow that looks great! :amazed:
hiktro

Post by hiktro »

ngrinder wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:38 pm Miles makes great bells.

I've ordered two flares from him spun up to 7.8 inches on his Bach mandrels - one was a very thin one piece bell with a brass wire which I ended up selling, and the other is a steel wired, slightly thicker one piece, which works better for me.

Try it before you buy it, because it won't neccessarily be like a traditional "Bach" bell, but Miles does very good work.
Thank you!
Everyone's feedback on the O'Malley Brass seems very positive :)
I'm going to have a CAIDEX valve section and a Meinschmidt valve section built. And I'm looking for bells to pair with them.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

I've reached out about the pricing for developing a mandrel, but I'd be really curious what their Bach bells would be like with some sort of heat treatment
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Hard to find much info online about the bells. What mandrels are being used, exactly?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bassbone1993 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:01 pm I've reached out about the pricing for developing a mandrel, but I'd be really curious what their Bach bells would be like with some sort of heat treatment
They are heat treated, just not the same as Bach does.
Last edited by Burgerbob on Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Miles does great work, I just ordered 3 bells for customers, and a cool variant of a 45 bell for myself (medium weight, gold stem, yellow flare at 8.5").
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

After making some sales in the collection, I've actually been planning to get one of their 42 bells myself.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

bassbone1993 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:01 pm I've reached out about the pricing for developing a mandrel, but I'd be really curious what their Bach bells would be like with some sort of heat treatment
I am also curious about the cost of a custom mandrel..I have a 1920 Conn with a huge bell throat which i would like to copy to use on my «frankentenor».. please let us know What You find out! 😉
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

Tbarh wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:08 am
I am also curious about the cost of a custom mandrel..I have a 1920 Conn with a huge bell throat which i would like to copy to use on my «frankentenor».. please let us know What You find out! 😉
I'll post what I find out here. I threw out the idea of developing a Duo Gravis mandrel to them.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

muschem wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:00 am I snagged an O'Malley sterling flare recently (viewtopic.php?p=241119). I really like it.
I have an Edwards sterling silver bell. Good to see another American maker doing SS.

I love the sound of my SS bell. Rich with lows and highs. The only thing that is a little short for SS is does not light up brighter with loud playing. Seems most conductors and Directors hear a more solid hit on notes on the brass bell.

When playing in symphony with pieces that are generally softer and do not have any pyro volumes, I use the sterling bell and they really like the sound.

I practice with SS bell the most. Seem it teaches me to have a better sound on all horns.

What do you find on your SS bell?
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
muschem

Post by muschem »

whitbey wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:43 am
I have an Edwards sterling silver bell. Good to see another American maker doing SS.

I love the sound of my SS bell. Rich with lows and highs. The only thing that is a little short for SS is does not light up brighter with loud playing. Seems most conductors and Directors hear a more solid hit on notes on the brass bell.

When playing in symphony with pieces that are generally softer and do not have any pyro volumes, I use the sterling bell and they really like the sound.

I practice with SS bell the most. Seem it teaches me to have a better sound on all horns.

What do you find on your SS bell?
I'm using the O'Malley sterling flare (to clarify - this is a detachable flare, not a complete bell) in a bit of a franken-bone setup at the moment, so it is perhaps not easy to draw general conclusions about sterling as a material based on my experience with it. I currently have it paired with the red brass bell stem from my Sauer model Shires, as the original flare from that bell met with an untimely end, courtesy of a falling ladder. I no longer have the slide that my Sauer model came with, so I've been using it with one of my carbon Butler slides. And, the original valve section, which was a Shires dual bore valve, was replaced with an Olsen axial valve setup. Sort of an odd mix of materials and components from which to extrapolate any meaningful trend. That said, I do find the combination interesting. If I swap flares between an 8.5" carbon flare and the 8" sterling O'Malley, the sterling flare makes it easier to project more sound, and maybe reduces the breadth of sound or complexity of the overtones vs. a full red brass setup somewhat, emphasizing the fundamental tone more. In any case, I like it.

I do have a couple other full sterling bells to compare with, though. I had previously been under the impression that sterling was really difficult to push past redline. My Shires BII sterling bass defies that notion... it lights up very easily when pushed. With a single bore .562 slide it leans pretty heavily toward what I'd call a commercial sound, actually. Changing to a dual bore slide and a different material for the mouthpiece and/or leadpipe tames some of that edge, and (for me) makes it a good general orchestral setup. I only recently received my T1 sterling bell tenor setup, but I can say that it is also nice and edgy when I want it to be, with a focused, clear tone at softer dynamics. I really enjoy it so far. I believe my sterling alto bell should be shipping soon, so that will be interesting to compare.

Sterling in general is an interesting beast. Closer to the face (as in leadpipe), I perceive the impact as a darker sound and more covered/rounder articulations with less feedback... not necessarily "dead", but perhaps some reduction in the higher overtones in favor of the fundamental. Moving out to the bell, I'm sure those same tendencies exist, but the effect is somewhat reduced (at least to my ear) - and I think this is generally true for most material changes... closer to the face = higher impact. Pairing a sterling bell with a different material (I like nickel) in the leadpipe, slide outers, crooks, etc. adds some of those missing overtones back in for me. With that combination, I feel like I retain much of the punch that sterling packs, but in a more balanced overall feel and sound. I have played sterling setups that I did not like. Some can feel way too heavy/muddy. I don't get that with the O'Malley flare nor with my Shires bells.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Instruments”