JK exclusive cup depth sizes

wloczykij97

JK exclusive cup depth sizes

Post by wloczykij97 »

Hello! This is my first post here :hi: I'm looking for JK 7 mouthpiece slighly shallower than my Bach 5g. JK offers depths A - G (very deep - extremely shallow). What is the similarity of the JK cup depth sizes to popular mouthpieces like 5g/51, 51c4?
Posaunus

Re: JK exclusive cup depth sizes

Post by Posaunus »

Isn't that pretty clear from the Josef Klier catalog?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

JK B is roughly 5G/Elliott G, D is roughly 6.5AL/Elliott E, so you'd probably want a C

... but they all play somewhat unlike fully American-style pieces (they're not exactly traditional German-style, but they still have some of that small/short throat design)

Have you considered a Bach 5GS (a shallower Bach 5G)?
wloczykij97

Post by wloczykij97 »

ithinknot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:11 pm JK B is roughly 5G/Elliott G, D is roughly 6.5AL/Elliott E, so you'd probably want a C

... but they all play somewhat unlike fully American-style pieces (they're not exactly traditional German-style, but they still have some of that small/short throat design)

Have you considered a Bach 5GS (a shallower Bach 5G)?
Thanks for the detailed answer, I think I'll try JK, they are quite cheap in Europe and have a great reputation. No, I haven't yet. I was planning to try the yamaha 51c4, but the 5GS looks like a good choice.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Posaunus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:54 pm Isn't that pretty clear from the Josef Klier catalog?
Wrote the above when I only had my phone available. Now I see the problem trying to interpret the Josef Klier catalog.

The JK 7B has a 25.50mm Cup I.D., a 6.80mm Throat, and a "Deep" Cup
The JK 7C has a 25.50mm Cup I.D., a 6.40mm Throat, and a "Medium" Cup
The JK 7D has a 25.50mm Cup I.D., a 6.00mm Throat, and a "Shallow" Cup

I believe the JK 7B is sort of comparable to Bach 5G, Schilke 51.
The JK 7C, with its shallower cup and smaller throat, might be more like a Bach 5GS; perhaps a bit like a Yamaha 51C4, but I think the Yamaha's cup is deeper.
The JK 7D has an even shallower cup and smaller throat; nothing quite comparable in Bach or Schilke (I think).

Good luck!
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

I suggest to try JK USA 5G. It will have bit shallow cup than Bach 5G, and slighly larger throat, with 25.50 mm diameter. It is great mouthpiece and also ridiculously cheap. It has a Bach design blank.

Return to “Mouthpieces”