Conductor's light

AtomicClock

Conductor's light

Post by AtomicClock »

One of my groups rehearses in a dim room, so most people use stand lights. This makes the conductor especially hard to see, because he is unlit. My normal quick upward glance gives no information. Is there such a thing as a portable spotlight? That wouldn't blind him?
bitbckt

Re: Conductor's light

Post by bitbckt »

Maybe you’ve considered and discarded this as an option but: would it not be better to light the room with a portable light?

A portable contractor light - possibly bounced off a white reflector/wall to diffuse it - might make everyone happier than adding yet another task light.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are batons with a light at the tip.

If he can stand it, put a light on his stand illuminating his upper body.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Having a reasonable stand light on the conductor and actually using a white baton will help if you can’t get better light.

I usually put at least two stand lights on the conductor’s stand to provide a lot of light both on them and for them.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:14 pm There are batons with a light at the tip.
My experience with those batons with a light on the tip has been less than satisfying. Just creates a blur and more confusion. Much better to find a way to put subtle lighting on the conductor.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

elmsandr wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:12 am Having a reasonable stand light on the conductor and actually using a white baton will help if you can’t get better light.
I usually put at least two stand lights on the conductor’s stand to provide a lot of light both on them and for them.
Andy
:good:

Return to “Accessories”