S15 Super Olds with Gold Band

kurtfillman

S15 Super Olds with Gold Band

Post by kurtfillman »

Hello and thank you for any responses. I just purchased a 1947 Super Olds Trombone and I am trying to figure the exact model. It has the fluted edges, and says Super Olds on the lettering band. Every other instrument I've seen has the scrolled band on the bell in silver. This is in gold tone. And the FE is written different. Is this a different instrument?
Digidog

Re: S15 Super Olds with Gold Band

Post by Digidog »

Pictures will always facilitate the answering of any question about horn specifications and identification.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

There was a period of time in the late 1940's that S-15's had gold tone rings. All of the examples I've seen have serial numbers in the 17,xxx - 20,xxx range.

My theory is that there was a period of time when Olds was unable to acquire suitable nickel silver sheet in the appropriate size, possibly due to lingering wartime shortages.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Olds has several variations of Super trombones. Early Supers may have smaller bells, taper fit joints, and perhaps no garland. This can be seen in other models and trumpets and cornets as well.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
kurtfillman

Post by kurtfillman »

You are absolutely correct on the serial numbers. This instrument is 19,382. Do they have a better value?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

kurtfillman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 am You are absolutely correct on the serial numbers. This instrument is 19,382. Do they have a better value?
I expect that the value is in the condition of the instrument, not the color or flavor of the "tone ring" or the serial number / manufacture date.
How's the slide? Tuning slide? Lacquer? The better these are, I'd guess the more the value.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

kurtfillman wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 am You are absolutely correct on the serial numbers. This instrument is 19,382. Do they have a better value?
Not particularly, no.

Return to “Instruments”