Morningstar Custom Mutes

dukesboneman

Morningstar Custom Mutes

Post by dukesboneman »

I just wanted to take a moment and sing the praises of IIan Morgenstern the owner of Morningstar Custom Mutes.
I was playing a long run (55 shows) of the musical "Crazy For You" . The show had been re-orchestrated so there was more playing involved than the original orchestration. Lots of mute changes and many of them quick changes.
I just wasn`t happy with the sound of my straight mute. One night , I ran across the site for Morningstar Custom Mutes. Liked what I saw so I bought one.
It arrived - Beautiful looking mute, nice adjustable "cork" system, and great clear straight mute sound .
So I took it to the show that night. Oops !! The bulb at the end of the mute was way too big to get a hold of for a quick mute change. By the time I got it out of my horn I had missed my entrance. It was a long night.
The next day I contacted IIan and told him about the problem. I mentioned that wouldn`t it be nice if it had a handle.
To my surprise, he he went with my idea. Over the next couple of months he would send me computer images of design ideas and ask for my thoughts on it.
It was fun and exciting to be a small part if this design.
I have the Copper Bottom model with the "Handle" on the mute. Great sound and SUPER easy to get in and out of the horn.
If you`re looking for a great straight mute please give IIan and Morningstar Custom Mutes look. Quality product and and wonderful to work with.
https://www.morningstarmutes.com/trombone-mutes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalgaryTbone

Re: Morningstar Custom Mutes

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I love mine too - doesn't have the handle though! Great idea!

Jim Scott
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I made a similar suggestion when this appeared in the For Sale - Accessories area, using snaps and a nylon strap. It helps with a bass sized mute.

viewtopic.php?t=33437
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dukesboneman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:52 am Beautiful looking mute, nice adjustable "cork" system, and great clear straight mute sound .
So I took it to the show that night. Oops !! The bulb at the end of the mute was way too big to get a hold of for a quick mute change. By the time I got it out of my horn I had missed my entrance. It was a long night.
One of my biggest complaints about bulbous-end mutes. And I have small hands, which aggravates the problem.

A mute with some sort of handle or grip that allows quick changes sounds like a great idea! :clever:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Like dukesboneman I didn't care for ANY straight mute that I had tried. Online I saw this mute. It looked (?) good so I bought it. I LOVE THE SOUND! I've also received many complements on the sound. Just as described they have "a clarity of articulation and projection to the sound, but still with a degree of warmth". Fantastic! Only one downside - I too have small hands and it's a pain to try to quickly remove the mute...usually I can't. I tried to figure out a type of 'system' for quick removal, but haven't liked any of my ideas yet. I will contact IIan about his handle (which I hope works on his Bass Cup Mute as well!).
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Bob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm I will contact IIan about his handle (which I hope works on his Bass Cup Mute as well!).
Is Ilan selling his bass cup now?
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Dennis wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:02 am
Bob wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm I will contact IIan about his handle (which I hope works on his Bass Cup Mute as well!).
Is Ilan selling his bass cup now?
It's still in the tweaking/prototype stage but it's close to being done.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Trying out a potential final production prototype of the bass cup this week.....
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Let us know how it is, Harold.

I'm not sure I'm in the market anymore, though. My Jo-Ral cup wasn't working on the pieces my band is taking to NABBA next week. It was too "woofy" and didn't speak clearly on a couple of prominent passages. I have a Wick bass cup I'm using now. Horses for courses, I guess.

Return to “Accessories”