looking for bass trombone advice

Supermanalito

looking for bass trombone advice

Post by Supermanalito »

I am looking for advice from this educated collective on narrowing down a model of bass trombone to purchase. A little about me... I currently play first in a big band in my area on a 3b silver sonic that I purchased last summer. My whole section plays king SS and it's a really cool sound. I also play 3 or 4 pit orchestras every year for musicals and in a community symphony that my wife wanted to join.

For lower playing... I play the tuba parts on a large silver Besson sovereign Euphonium with a DE LB 112 rim and LB cup 8 shank. I am currently borrowing that horn from a friend (a great friend as it's a beautiful instrument) and that sounds really nice in the brass quintet. The mouthpiece is magic for producing a tuba like sound and range for me. I haven't played any bass trombone and know I will have to put in a lot of time to feel comfortable on it... but I'm excited about that. The symphony has a need for a bass trombone player and it's pretty low level compared to what I'm used to playing so I thought that would be a good place to start right away. I also have turned down pit work in the past because bass trombone is what they needed and I haven't played that. I would like a horn with a nice slide and capable of doing the type of playing I'm talking about. It's possible I may want it for big band at some point as well thought I'm currently pretty happy playing lead there.

I would like to know from more experienced players what make/model of horn I should target if possible. My budget is $3,500 or so (or less if I don't need to spend that much) I do have a beautiful Williams model 4 to trade or sell. I could buy and sell it a bit later, but as sweet as the model 4 sounds... I'm just not using it and can't afford to have all this money tied up in brass.

TL;DR I would like some advice on which bass trombone to buy for an experienced tenor player with good breath support.
Music is life
Lead trombone Willamette Valley Big Band
I Love to play in pit orchestras for musicals
Portland Oregon Area
Kingfan

Re: looking for bass trombone advice

Post by Kingfan »

I am highly biased towards Kings, but I must say I am enjoying going low on my independent valve King 7B. I had a Holton TR-180 that i enjoyed a lot, and I see a TR-181 for sale in your price range on this site.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
ddsbstrb

Post by ddsbstrb »

Kingfan, I was never impressed with the trigger set-up on a stock King Duo-Gravis. I know a lot of them were converted to split triggers, which are more convenient than side by side triggers. I think the 7B-8B model came with split triggers? The Benge bass trombones were pretty good instruments and can be a great bargain, just like the Benge F-attachment tenor trombones. As stated above, the Holton TR-180's were great trombones if they had been converted into split triggers. A lot of those came with that Glantz disaster trigger. Great horn, terrible trigger system.

Some early Yamaha's were good doubler trombones, like the YBL-611 (also need the triggers, split), and the YBL-612, which some might have come with the triggers, split, so may not have. I have owned both a TR-180 and a YBL-611, with both having the triggers, split. I played a lot of gigs in my early career on these, two, bass trombones. You do have to watch those early Yamaha Bass Trombones, as they were noted for slide stocking bad plating. You will find some with a lot of brass showing through on the slide stockings. Not so much on the Holton's I have played.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. BTW, I never owned any of the King bass trombones, even though I totally dug my King 3b, from the 1960's I used in my early trombone career, before switching to bass trombone in 1972,
Denny Seifried
Adjunct Trombone Instructor
Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The King 7B and 8B came with split triggers from the get-go. I played my King 7B for some 30 years in orchestra, concert band, big band, and even as a double in quintet where I switched off on F-tuba (some pieces worked better on tuba, others on bass trombone).

There are some who actually like the Glantz Bar on the Holton TR-180. I never had one so I can't comment.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

3500 covers a lot of good basses.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:53 pm 3500 covers a lot of good basses.
Ba-dum-bum.

It sure does. And the Elliot mouthpiece you're playing on the euphonium will work great.

The Shires Q series are great. I'd probably go for that.
Briande

Post by Briande »

Don’t look past the Duo Gravis option. I primarily play tenor in a big band but play bass in another band and have a Duo Gravis. I think it plays “smaller” than some other basses I’ve played but still gets an iconic bass sound for big band.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I agree with Gabe. The Q series are very nice.

Fridge
Supermanalito

Post by Supermanalito »

Kind of took a bit of a step back because I was getting excited to buy the next bass I saw lol. There is a collection in my area being sold that contains a bach 50b3o that is in great shape, but I felt like I was rushing into it because it was available, but maybe not the right bass for me right now.

Right now I think I would like to play a duo gravis before I buy something online. My local music shop said they were cleaning one up for sale and it might be ready soon... I think I'll give that a try before I decide to buy anything sight unseen. Looking around it seems the shires q series is a little more available if I want one now. Also interested in the TR180 but would love to hold one before buying it. I think that's my short list for now. I will be on the hunt but I think I will wait to play that king locally before I buy anything.

Thanks a ton for the great responses here.
Music is life
Portland Oregon Area
tomato

Post by tomato »

I have two TR 180.in excellent condition .if you want one
Supermanalito

Post by Supermanalito »

tomato wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:26 am I have two TR 180.in excellent condition .if you want one
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I may indeed be interested in one of these horns. I sent you a PM for specifics and details.
Music is life
Portland Oregon Area
MrBadger

Post by MrBadger »

I would strongly recommend a new Rath R900 which is just over $3k - I bought one to double on and it's. a fantastic instrument (I retired my TR181 which I've had for 20+ years as soon as I got the R900 out of the case).
Current stable
Rath R12F, R4F, R900
Bach LT16MG, 42B
Holton TR181
Getzen Bass Trumpet
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I would go with a Rath R900 or a Getzen 1052
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:
VoigtBrass Artist