Bumper sizes

Jbeckett

Bumper sizes

Post by Jbeckett »

Curious, as I’m taking more care of my instruments, myself, rather than sending out. Lack of techs within three hours will make you try to learn.
So, looking for soft bumpers for shires rotors and rotors. I’ve been told o-rings and I’ve been told to use red rubber, in 11/64 and 17/64. Any recommendations on materials that are soft and quiet? I’m headed to a couple of hardware stores and to my local music and arts repair center tomorrow, but value any input.

Best

Jeff
hornbuilder

Re: Bumper sizes

Post by hornbuilder »

Send me your address (via pm or email. matthew"at"customtrombones"dot"com) and I will send you some lengths of the 3 durometers of material that I use.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

That’s very nice of you MW! I’ll send you en email promptly. Let me know what I owe you and I’ll PayPal you.

Jeff
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

For several reasons, I wouldn't use o-rings (or sewing machine belts, or ...). You also may discover that using softer material is not what you want -- it makes the bumpers bouncy in addition to wearing more quickly. The stuff Matthew Walker is sending you should fix you up.

I've always found Jeff Funderburk's rotary valve videos on Youtube to be especially helpful (though in the one on bumper replacement he uses cork rather than rubber -- matter of taste mostly):

There are some simple tricks that can avoid a lot of frustration.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Jbeckett

Post by Jbeckett »

Good stuff!
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

:space0:
ghmerrill wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:53 pm For several reasons, I wouldn't use o-rings (or sewing machine belts, or ...). You also may discover that using softer material is not what you want -- it makes the bumpers bouncy in addition to wearing more quickly. The stuff Matthew Walker is sending you should fix you up.

I've always found Jeff Funderburk's rotary valve videos on Youtube to be especially helpful (though in the one on bumper replacement he uses cork rather than rubber -- matter of taste mostly):

There are some simple tricks that can avoid a lot of frustration.
Cork tends to wear out REALLY quickly.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Didn't Osmun used to have some material they would do on your bumpers that supposedly lasted forever and ever after they installed it?
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:16 am Didn't Osmun used to have some material they would do on your bumpers that supposedly lasted forever and ever after they installed it?
Yes. Ive got it on my bass. Seems great! Been on there for 6 or 7 years now. Not my daily horn so I can’t say anything about the longevity.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have about 3' each of 1/4" and 3/16" black rubber cord that I got some years ago. I think it's from Votaw (could be J.L. Smith or somewhere else :? ). Votaw says "Our cord has been specially designed and fabricated with an exact durometer (hardness) for rotary valve instruments offering the proper amount of resistance to the rotor stop." -- so it's gotta be great. In fact, the stuff seems to last a LONG time (hence the 6' I have left), but then I don't hammer my valves as much as pro players (or serious amateurs) do. I think I've changed it twice on my bass trombone since I got that. But it also lasted a long time on my Cerveny rotary valve tuba when I had that as well.

I also have (from Votaw) some "stop plate bumper" of the (black rubber) sort that has one extended flat side (Votaw tags it specifically for Jupiter instruments in one size, and Holton instruments in another). I can't imagine why I have it. :roll: And then I've got 3' of (J.L Smith) silicone cord bumper material that I thought was gonna be great. It was an interesting experience for maybe a week, but not great.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Maintenance”