CLR for inner slide cleaning?

ghmerrill

CLR for inner slide cleaning?

Post by ghmerrill »

Any experience with using CLR?

I just (finally) upgraded my endoscope and looked inside the slide of my 1947 Olds Standard. I no longer believe that the inners are replacements. :lol: I suppose they could be. Given that the thing is 76 years old, that would provide ample time for someone to trash and run through several sets of inners. But the horn was not in otherwise bad condition when I got it, and so I now suspect that these are the original inners. The outsides of them appear to be pristine. The insides? Not so much. Of course, the insides are particularly critical, but I would like to clean them up.

There is a LOT of surface corrosion, and a lot of deposits. I had, of course, cleaned it a number of times already. So "normal" cleaning hasn't done the trick. I'm thinking I need to approach it in the same way as cleaning the outer, plus a lot more brushing (probably with appropriately sized gun barrel brushes -- .45 or .50 cal. should work), maybe with a low-speed electric drill to drive it rotationally. As I think of going the vinegar-soak or citric cleaner route, I'm wondering if CLR might be a better approach. It works especially well on calcium deposits.

Thoughts and experience?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
ghmerrill

Re: CLR for inner slide cleaning?

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, I found this thread on a subsequent search. Don't know why it didn't show up earlier. It's encouraging, and with some other good pointers as well:

viewtopic.php?t=15025
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

There is a reason that an experienced trombone tech asks what they do for an hourly shop rate. CLR may remove mineral deposits, you may also miscalculate the dilution ratio and damage the brass, there may be other factors to take into account that CLR may not address.

Years of experience working on brass instruments every day counts for something.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Thanks. The CLR worked well for me.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph

Return to “Maintenance”