Trouble playing higher notes on larger bore trombone.

How and what to teach and learn.
MuskLight23

Trouble playing higher notes on larger bore trombone.

Post by MuskLight23 »

Recently, I upgraded to a larger bore trombone with an f lever. Before, I could play up to a high f in closed position, but now the highest I can play is a d in closed. Is it the trombone that is causing it, and if so how can I fix this? Any help will be appreciated!
BGuttman

Re: Trouble playing higher notes on larger bore trombone.

Post by BGuttman »

We've had this discussion many times before and a search might give some great advice.

First, your experience is quite common. The solution is to play a lot of long tones and rangebuilding exercises. There is no shortcut and no fast way to adapt. It will take a fair amount of time. Do you have a teacher? If not, find one. It will shorten your path to getting the large bore working properly.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
KingThings

Post by KingThings »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:12 pm We've had this discussion many times before and a search might give some great advice.

First, your experience is quite common. The solution is to play a lot of long tones and rangebuilding exercises. There is no shortcut and no fast way to adapt. It will take a fair amount of time. Do you have a teacher? If not, find one. It will shorten your path to getting the large bore working properly.
I have a 1964 1480 King I am fixing up and have always played a 3B so it will be interesting for me to see how it goes once it is ready.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

MuskLight23 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:18 pm Recently, I upgraded to a larger bore trombone with an f lever. Before, I could play up to a high f in closed position, but now the highest I can play is a d in closed. Is it the trombone that is causing it, and if so how can I fix this? Any help will be appreciated!
Very possibly you're holding it at a different angle. F lever horns sometimes don't have a brace to grip and always are different in nose heaviness. Try a mirror, or put your cell phone on the stand and video you playing each horn.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”