Trombone stand repair

AtomicClock

Trombone stand repair

Post by AtomicClock »

I've had this trombone stand for maybe 20 years, and I think it was broken from the factory. One of the rivets has pulled thru (still in there, but hidden in the photo). I guess the mushroom head broke off on one side.

broken rivet crop.jpg
Should look like this:
good rivet crop.jpg
Is this something repairable? I suspect that someone who knows their way around a hardware store could make short work of this. But I don't know rivets. I'm tempted to file off the broken piece, and throw in a bolt & nut. But that sounds like work.

It's a fine (unbranded) stand otherwise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneTon

Re: Trombone stand repair

Post by OneTon »

Support the stand on a piece of wood like a short 2x4. Use a small center punch or nail and a hammer to drive out the remaining rivet. A hardware store that has closed metal bins is preferable. Take the stand with you and find a short round head screw and nut that fits through the existing hole. A washer on each side would help too. Size the screw to allow 4-6 threads to protrude through the nut after mating it up and loosely tightening the washer. Support the stand on wood again and use a ball peen hammer’s round end to form a butt from the screw that extends beyond the washer. If this confuses you, the person who repairs your horn can fix it for you.

The round head of the screw goes on the side of the leg with the least clearance. Use caution. You can hurt yourself if your fingers get in the way. I am not talking down to you. I don’t know your skill set and experience.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Accessories”