Calipers and such

Spin your yarns here.
AtomicClock

Calipers and such

Post by AtomicClock »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:20 pm Once you have both, you'll be surprised how often you use them... or not, if you hate fun and adventure
I have never used my micrometer. I use my calipers less frequently than it takes for the battery to go bad. SIgh. I tried to find a nice, unpowered set of vernier calipers, but the only lefty ones cost an arm and a leg.
elmsandr

Re: Yamaha YBL 622 and 822 notes

Post by elmsandr »

AtomicClock wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:28 pm
ithinknot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:20 pm Once you have both, you'll be surprised how often you use them... or not, if you hate fun and adventure
I have never used my micrometer. I use my calipers less frequently than it takes for the battery to go bad. SIgh. I tried to find a nice, unpowered set of vernier calipers, but the only lefty ones cost an arm and a leg.
Don’t buy lefty ones? Just a $5 set of dial calipers from harbor freight or plastic ones from Home Depot will do. Hold them upside down or backwards if you insist on using your left hand…

Verniers are fun, but don’t do that unless you enjoy confusing other people. I use them as my engineering age detector.

Cheers,
Andy
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

elmsandr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 am Verniers are fun, but don’t do that unless you enjoy confusing other people.
I was planning to keep them with my slide rule collection.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

AtomicClock wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:41 pm
elmsandr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 am Verniers are fun, but don’t do that unless you enjoy confusing other people.
I was planning to keep them with my slide rule collection.
With your abacus?
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:38 pm With your abacus?
No. I'm not a doubler.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have two slide rules and an abacus that I used to use on my Chem Engineering exams. The slide rules multiply great, but you can't add. The abacus (actually the Japanese version called Soroban) let me total up long columns of numbers quickly. Most younger engineers don't need that any more. Calculators, laptop computers, and smart phones can do it faster and more accurately.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:58 pm I have two slide rules and an abacus that I used to use on my Chem Engineering exams. The slide rules multiply great, but you can't add. The abacus (actually the Japanese version called Soroban) let me total up long columns of numbers quickly. Most younger engineers don't need that any more. Calculators, laptop computers, and smart phones can do it faster and more accurately.
I do it all in my head. :clever:
Mental mathematician. :cool:
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:58 pm Most younger engineers don't need that any more. Calculators, laptop computers, and smart phones can do it faster and more accurately.
More and more, the numbers you need to manipulate are already in the computer. And the answer needs to end up in the computer. So it makes sense to just do the math there, too. I don't understand why keyboards still have the 10-key on the side. Who has lists of numbers on paper any more?

Calculators are really just for educational situations, to enable cheat monitoring.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

Carter’s Law is that it takes on average only two digressions before a topic becomes about something unrelated to the original topic
BGuttman

Calipers and such

Post by BGuttman »

modelerdc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:38 pm Carter’s Law is that it takes on average only two digressions before a topic becomes about something unrelated to the original topic
You are right. We went far afield. I moved the digression to a new topic.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Re: Calipers and such

Post by Doug Elliott »

My first thought was brake calipers... somebody has a question about replacing calipers and bleeding their brakes?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
OneTon

Re: Calipers and such

Post by OneTon »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 pm My first thought was brake calipers... somebody has a question about replacing calipers and bleeding their brakes?
That is a go no-go gage.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

AtomicClock wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:41 pm I was planning to keep them with my slide rule collection.
:lol: When I graduated with my B.S. I gave my primary slide rule (Dietzgen "Microglide" Decimal Trig Log Log Duplex with a cherry on top: https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/nmah_1320190) to my roommate who had switched from architecture to chemistry and had to do an extra year. I knew I'd never use it again. From a sense of excess caution (and maybe nostalgia for tough times past), I kept one of the cheaper metal Picketts for some years, but don't remember ever using it. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Tangents”