trombone support to bear the weight, take the stress off the left hand

harrisonreed

Re: trombone support to bear the weight, take the stress off the left hand

Post by harrisonreed »

AtomicClock wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:13 pm You have that strap too loose, I think. That's why it's sliding around. Close up the Velcro.
It's completely tight when playing. While putting it on, things slide around and pinch.
This is just me, but I've found that it works best if it is tight enough to sit along the back of your large knuckles (furthest from finger tips). My hands are huge (XXL glove), and I still need it completely closed in the Velcro to sit like that. So unless you have foam finger hands, you could probably tighten it a little bit and see. FWIW, I use the bass size one on bass only.

You've probably found something that works better already, so it's moot. Not trying to sell you on something you already have, but maybe someone else who might be on the fence.

It took a while for me to figure out how to use the dang strap, even with Aidan's video! :weep:
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:14 pm My hands are huge (XXL glove), and I still need it completely closed in the Velcro to sit like that. So unless you have foam finger hands, you could probably tighten it a little bit and see.
Also XXL gloves. I closed the velcro, and can't reach the F lever.

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:14 pm FWIW, I use the bass size one on bass only.
There are sizes? Bingo. Bach 42 has a wide (bass?) slide crook.
ezra

Post by ezra »

AtomicClock wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:58 am ezra, what model trombone do you have?
King 3B and a Yamaha Custom Z YSL827Z.

I've been to a hand therapist who has diagnosed Repetitive Strain Injury. Plus arthritic changes to my hands.
I now have a brace for the left hand, Coban tape around the cross member on the slide for the right hand and a support for the left hand to spread the weight of the trombone across the back of the hand.
Last edited by ezra on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezra

Post by ezra »

AtomicClock wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am I have to say that I could never get comfortable with my Osmun strap. But I put an Edwards bullet brace on my 622G and am thrilled with the result.

We still don't know what ezra plays. If it is a straight trombone, then the straps and braces discussed here won't be helpful.
King 3B and a Yamaha Z series YSL897Z
In general, I would first add/remove counterweights until a proper balance is achieved in 1st or second position (balance changes as the slide is extended). Second would be grip/brace/strap additions. That's usually not necessary for straight trombones, or Kings with their behind-the-brace levers. But everyone's hands are unique, I suppose.
Only if all that is inadequate, would I resort to the pegs, Ergobone &Trombone Stick.

If you're made of money, you could buy a Butler trombone with a carbon-fiber bell.
ezra

Post by ezra »

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. It has been an education.

I am now being treated for Repetitive Strain Injury and mild arthritis in both hands, by a hand therapist. So far so good. The pain has been reduced. Still bearing some pain, but I don't want to stop playing.

She has supplied me with an Orthopaedic support for the right hand, Coban tape to wrap around the slide brace to make it fatter, and I purchased a Calderpips support for the left hand. Seems to do what it was designed to do. It has reduced the strain across my hand by re-distributing the weight borne by the left hand.

Thank you again for all of your input. It's been an enlightened discussion.
Last edited by ezra on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

AtomicClock wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am In general, I would first add/remove counterweights until a proper balance is achieved in 1st or second position (balance changes as the slide is extended).
I have finally added a counterweight (on the tuning slide brace) to my 7B clone. I'd been meaning to experiment with this for some time, but finally did it because I've been experimenting with mutes and really dislike the nosedive effect that some of those induce.

The difference in "holdability" is significant -- though it wasn't bad to start with, given the bullet brace the way I have it rigged. Now, with or without mute, the horn requires less (if any) "grip strength". What I used was HALF of one of the Hickey "Standard" (generic) Trombone Counterweights, and elegantly zip-tied it to the tuning slide brace. It looks really cool.

I paid $26.95 for it the first week in January (plus shipping) -- thinking "That seems a bit high for a lump of brass, but they seem to be selling 3" long 1/2" brass plumbing nipples for $10 now, so ..." However, if you should covet one of these for yourself, I'm sorry to say the current price from Hickey's is now $49.95 (plus shipping). :( Maybe I should try to sell the half I have left over. But probably it's smarter to hold onto it and wait for the price of brass to continue increasing. :roll: Or I may just zip tie it to my Olds Standard. :D
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Instruments”