Which Doug Elliot Mouthpiece for Large Bore Tenor?

wstrauch27

Which Doug Elliot Mouthpiece for Large Bore Tenor?

Post by wstrauch27 »

Last summer, I had the privilege of meeting Doug Elliot at the International Trombone Festival in Salt Lake City and had him make me a jazz trombone mouthpiece. It's an XT N102 rim, XT D+ cup, and XT D+ 3 shank. I play on a Yamaha custom z small bore horn. I also picked up a Greg Black 5g when I was there for my large tenor which is a Shires axial tenor (Alessi bell, TW47 slide). That mouthpiece is also a solid mouthpiece, but it's been a pain constantly switching back and forth since the mouthpieces feel so drastically different. Ideally I would at least have the same rim for both horns which is an idea I have been playing with a lot recently.
I recently experimented with playing on Bach 6 1/2 ALs since those are the only mouthpieces I own for both large bore and tenor. Before I started using Doug Elliot's mouthpiece, I'd played on a 6 1/2 on small tenor since I started playing trombone, and over the last few years, I had been using a Shilke 51 on my large bore before I got the 5g. After trying the 6 1/2s out again, I have decided that I am just too in love with my Doug Elliot mouthpiece to put it on the bench even if it is just for a couple of weeks. The 6 1/2 ALs couldn't compete with the sound the Doug Elliot and Greg Black mouthpieces produce.
I have decided that I would like to get a Doug Elliot mouthpiece with the XT N102 rim for my large tenor, but I'm not entirely sure which cup and/or shank would be the best option. I don't have a ton of experience trying out different types of equipment, like I said I played on Bach 6 1/2s and a Shilke 51 for most of my time playing so any all input would be valued and highly appreciated. I've been looking at the G, G+, H, and I cup sizes and was wondering if anyone might have thoughts. If you're curious about my playing, or want to get an idea I have a trombone instagram account called "trombone.inator" that has a few clips.
Doug Elliott

Re: Which Doug Elliot Mouthpiece for Large Bore Tenor?

Post by Doug Elliott »

The usual choice would be XT G and G8.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

G or G+. If you liked the depth of the GB 5G, then I would probably get a G+
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

G, G+, and H are all possibilities, with the matching #8 backbores
goldendomer04

Post by goldendomer04 »

I would also recommend the XT F+ cup with the G8 shank.

I just snagged this setup from Doug at TMEA this weekend and I wound up liking it better than my G or G+ cups for my 88h.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I liked the F cup, when I had one.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I loved the G8, G cup, 104 rim that Doug sent me - use it for chamber and show stuff all the time, and it's an great principal piece as well.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

goldendomer04 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm I would also recommend the XT F+ cup with the G8 shank.

I just snagged this setup from Doug at TMEA this weekend and I wound up liking it better than my G or G+ cups for my 88h.
Another F+/G8 fan here! Doug's G/G8 option is still under consideration but not in the cards right now.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

LT G Cup / G8 Shank. I've not tried F+. Formerly used F Cup / F8 Shank, but I now prefer the G size.

Doug also made me a G8 Conn Shank for my 88H. :good:
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

G-Cup/G8 is a perfect match for large bore. I do so much playing on that and I don't look back to any other large bore mouthpiece options at all.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Any opinions re: G/G8 MT, LT, XT. Also the newer design shank?

I dropped mine and very slightly knocked my shank out of round. Barely noticeable really but I can see it.

I tend use my LT 104, G8/G4 on my .547 and .525 horns.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Forget about MT for a G cup, it doesn't make any sense.
LT or XT sort of depends on both rim size and the kind of feel and sound you want. XT will always feel more open than LT because there's a little more cup volume.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I use F8 and G8 on 88h, and depending on what you're doing, the H could also work. F8 is a little snappier, G8 is a fuller sound.

The blank size makes a difference (LT vs XT). The heavier blank gives a stronger sound. I recently changed from LB to XB on bass, and I get a bigger sound with an extra step of low range on bass.

Return to “Mouthpieces”