King Tempo lookup and repair parts

fighterkit

King Tempo lookup and repair parts

Post by fighterkit »

I have a King Tempo that my dad used back in the day in my possession.

I am trying to find more information on it, like year manufactured and compatible slides.

It has a serial of 459xxx, a three piece counterweight that just says "King" engraved on it, the engraving on the bell says "KING TEMPO KING MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS EASTLAKE OHIO"

I really do like this horn, but the inner slide is getting pretty worn and will probably need to be replaced, so I wanted to find out more about this horn and what I could end up replacing the slide with.

Thanks
atopper333

Re: King Tempo lookup and repair parts

Post by atopper333 »

That serial number should put it around 1970-1971. I have one as well, it’s a really awesome horn. Mine had inner slide wear as well. I cleaned it and removed the corrosion the best I could and it seems to do well, although in the future I’ll be keeping an eye out for a 2B slide in good condition once I get a few other projects done…

If I remember correctly, it should be compatible with the King 2b or 605 slides…
fighterkit

Post by fighterkit »

atopper333 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:33 am That serial number should put it around 1970-1971. I have one as well, it’s a really awesome horn. Mine had inner slide wear as well. I cleaned it and removed the corrosion the best I could and it seems to do well, although in the future I’ll be keeping an eye out for a 2B slide in good condition once I get a few other projects done…

If I remember correctly, it should be compatible with the King 2b or 605 slides…
Thanks. There seems to be some corrosion on the inner slide that’s leading to some issues in the slide performance. I work at a repair shop and I might drop some money to order a new slide from Conn/Selmer. I love this horn and it sings but the slide is frustrating
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

You could get your tech to order a 2b slide tube and it should work. The Tempo was basically a nickel mid range horn based on the 2b that punched above its weight. Worth fixing.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

As a temporary measure, you might try polishing the corroded areas on the inners with bronze wool (I got mine from Rockler). It'll take the areas where the plating is missing down to clean metal without messing up whatever plating remains (UNLESS the plating is flaking - that's a whole 'nother issue).

The other classic tech trick is to rotate the tubes so the best remaining stocking surface faces up when the horn is in playing position.

Finally - slides get that way for a reason. Some sort of underlying issue with the slide. Mineral buildup, tubes that aren't straight, true, and parallel, etc.. That'll need to be addressed, too.
fighterkit

Post by fighterkit »

Messed up and posted multiple times
Last edited by fighterkit on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fighterkit

Post by fighterkit »

JohnL wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:39 pm As a temporary measure, you might try polishing the corroded areas on the inners with bronze wool (I got mine from Rockler). It'll take the areas where the plating is missing down to clean metal without messing up whatever plating remains (UNLESS the plating is flaking - that's a whole 'nother issue).

The other classic tech trick is to rotate the tubes so the best remaining stocking surface faces up when the horn is in playing position.

Finally - slides get that way for a reason. Some sort of underlying issue with the slide. Mineral buildup, tubes that aren't straight, true, and parallel, etc.. That'll need to be addressed, too.
Yea. I did the bronze wool to get it as low as I could. I can see the the plating was eaten away.

The tubes weren't straight. It was the horn my dad and I both learned on, just a few decades apart, so not a surprise. I went ahead and realigned it and it feels better than before, but I can still feel it not being perfect.

Return to “Instruments”