Ultimate Brass - Resonance Enhanced

Bleek

Ultimate Brass - Resonance Enhanced

Post by Bleek »

Hi.

I was wanting to see if anyone had made direct comparisons between resonance enhanced and standard Ultimate Brass mouthpieces? Or any experience/knowledge of, with their Resonance Enhanced process?

And if so, and if possible to describe what were the differences?

Thanks.
www.bengurton.com

Shires Marshall Gilkes
Shires TW25LW/TW47 Trubore 7YLW
Shires Q36YR
XO 1632
CalgaryTbone

Re: Ultimate Brass - Resonance Enhanced

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I played on an Ultimate Brass 4.1 for a while - I have 2 - one without and one with the treatment. It made a difference, and my colleagues were able to hear it, as well as there was a difference in response for the player. I would say, however, that it's not "night and day". To my ears, the RE version was a bit smoother across slurs and maybe a bit warmer in the sound. The "slotting" is slightly better, in my opinion. I think the RE treatment that he uses is a heat treatment. In my reading, I've encountered similar statements about a heat treatment that Parke used on some (one piece) mouthpieces that made them desirable to some trumpet players. I'm (guessing here) assuming that it's a similar process (annealing?). Ultimate Brass makes some very nice mouthpieces, and they are nice to deal with.as well.

Jim Scott
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Thanks Jim. I agree, am playing the A1 on my small bore and the G375 on my bass. I like them enough to wonder about how much better they could be!
www.bengurton.com

Shires Marshall Gilkes
Shires TW25LW/TW47 Trubore 7YLW
Shires Q36YR
XO 1632
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

Scott Laskey used a similar treatment on his mouthpieces. Not sure if the current makers continue to do so.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Bleek wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:57 am Thanks Jim. I agree, am playing the A1 on my small bore and the G375 on my bass. I like them enough to wonder about how much better they could be!
I use a custom version of the A1 on my alto (with the 4.1 rim). I asked about having that made with the RE treatment, and I was advised against it. Evidently they don't recommend it for some applications. I figured that if they were advising me against a process that would give them an additional fee, then I would take their advice.

JS
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:18 am
Bleek wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:57 am Thanks Jim. I agree, am playing the A1 on my small bore and the G375 on my bass. I like them enough to wonder about how much better they could be!
I use a custom version of the A1 on my alto (with the 4.1 rim). I asked about having that made with the RE treatment, and I was advised against it. Evidently they don't recommend it for some applications. I figured that if they were advising me against a process that would give them an additional fee, then I would take their advice.

JS
If the "Resonance Enhanced" treatment is a heat treatment, they are probably just annealing the mouthpiece. Annealing is the process of heating up the metal until it is a glowing "cherry red" color and letting it cool on its own very slowly. It reduces the hardness of the metal. It is a very effective process for brass instrument components that have had dents removed repeatedly because the metal can harden, especially from the tapping of a dent hammer.

For a mouthpiece, I see pros and cons of annealing. On the positive side, the softening of the metal would probably make the mouthpiece play with a warmer and possibly more flexible sound. On the down side, it would probably remove some clarity from the articulation. Annealing would also make the mouthpiece more vulnerable to scratches and denting easily.

JS....It makes sense to me that Ultimate Brass would recommend against the RE process for an alto trombone mouthpiece. Most alto trombone players are on a quest for greater clarity and articulation ease, particularly in the upper register. Annealing the mouthpiece would take it in the opposite direction.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Thanks! That's a nice clear explanation of what that process might accomplish, and the ups/downs of it. While I was only guessing at what their process is, your explanation fits well with my experience of playing the 2 different versions of the same mouthpiece.

Jim Scott
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Not sure how helpful this is to anyone else, but after reading this thread I decided to try "home annealing" my backup mouthpiece on the stove yesterday. Did it in the morning, let it cool during the day and then played it when I got home from work.
Brian's description of a warmer sound with easier slurring, coupled with slightly dulled articulation I found to be spot on. I did this on a Curry 2D bass piece and I really like the difference. This basically ruins the plating, so I'm sending it to Anderson sometime soon.
426077979_404431925453717_5190791486622297959_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

bassboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:46 am Not sure how helpful this is to anyone else, but after reading this thread I decided to try "home annealing" my backup mouthpiece on the stove yesterday. Did it in the morning, let it cool during the day and then played it when I got home from work.
Brian's description of a warmer sound with easier slurring, coupled with slightly dulled articulation I found to be spot on. I did this on a Curry 2D bass piece and I really like the difference. This basically ruins the plating, so I'm sending it to Anderson sometime soon.
Fun. I do wonder if the fried silver doesn't end up needing to be stripped entirely (adhesion/flaking issues at replate?). Dunno.

Anyway, make like Monette and charge yourself handsomely for this service.
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:01 pm
bassboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:46 am Not sure how helpful this is to anyone else, but after reading this thread I decided to try "home annealing" my backup mouthpiece on the stove yesterday. Did it in the morning, let it cool during the day and then played it when I got home from work.
Fun. I do wonder if the fried silver doesn't end up needing to be stripped entirely (adhesion/flaking issues at replate?). Dunno.

Anyway, make like Monette and charge yourself handsomely for this service.
Yeah it's a little misshapen in some spots. I'm going to ask Anderson to take it all off before replating.

Oh I could never take money from someone as broke as me!

Return to “Mouthpieces”