Greetings from Tennessee

Spin your yarns here.
ngambler

Greetings from Tennessee

Post by ngambler »

Hey, I'm Nick! This seems to be the accepted place for introduction posts, so I shall give my mandatory three posts here.

I am a former band student and played trombone continuously in school since the age of 10. I ended up flaming out in my first year of college for a multitude of reasons; as such, my playing days became increasingly sporadic to the point where I only broke out my horns for a bi-annual deep cleansing. Recently, I motivated myself to pick up bass guitar; naturally, this had a domino effect of motivating me to start practicing trombone again.
ngambler

Re: Greetings from Tennessee

Post by ngambler »

I had an account on the old Trombone Forum years ago - probably under one of my old usernames - but I was mostly a lurker on there. As my interest in the trombone has returned, I have also returned to my lurking ways. I am not sure how often I'll actually reach out to the community on here, but I look forward to learning more about my renewed passion with you guys.
ngambler

Post by ngambler »

My main axe is an old Holton TR158, with the serial dated to some time in the early-mid 60's. I got this horn off eBay several years back going into college to replace the medium bore Jupiter I used in high school. It had a couple significant dents on the tuning slides and a hand slide that was in dire need of realignment, but once I had those issues ironed out, it was more or less perfect for me. It served me well during my first college stint and continues to serve me well now.

My secondary horn is an old beater King 606 that I used throughout middle school. It was more or less unplayable until I had it restored out of pity a few months back. I had a mint 606 as a rental when I first started playing, so I've sentimentally held onto this one as my de facto "first horn." Despite its reputation as a student's beater horn, it is more than adequate for my smaller bore needs.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

What part of Tennessee?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:07 pm What part of Tennessee?
He seems to have disappeared after his rousing introduction! LOL
ngambler

Post by ngambler »

Some say that I exist in East Tennessee
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

ngambler wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:06 am
Some say that I exist in East Tennessee
Well now you have my interest peaked. Where in East TN? I grew up in Bristol but left years ago and live in CT now.
ngambler

Post by ngambler »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:32 am Well now you have my interest peaked. Where in East TN? I grew up in Bristol but left years ago and live in CT now.
The Chattanooga area. I am originally from Florida, but I have lived around here since high school.

Bristol is certainly a place. I've only been there once, but the motor speedway was quite the sight to see.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I've never spent much time in Chattanooga. However when I was in college I drove to Chattanooga in the Fall of 1979 to hear Bill Watrous play live with the UTC Jazz Band. Mind blown!!!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I know a coupl of trombonists in Chattanooga. Brad Jenson is a guy who I met at the STS seminar and Jeff Herndon used to live here in Spartanburg and played in our community band. My wife's brother's family used to all live there. They have excellent mountain bike trails. Nice town.

Return to “Tangents”