mt vernon/ elkhart trombone questions

abelm640

mt vernon/ elkhart trombone questions

Post by abelm640 »

HI i recently found a trombone that seems to be from the MT Vernon era based of the mouth piece but i cant seem to find a place to match the serial number R6401, its a small bore with a small bell. just trying to get help figuring out what era and year its actually from
BGuttman

Re: mt vernon/ elkhart trombone questions

Post by BGuttman »

Is there a make or model engraved somewhere?

Many instruments will have upgraded mouthpieces and it's very possible a Mount Vernon mouthpiece was paired with an instrument it didn't originally come with.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

What Bruce said.
Mt. Vernon/Elkhart eras, in trombone-speak, refer to Vincent Bach instruments. The engraving on the bell should tell you the brand. If it is a Bach Stradivarious, it will be on the bell, along with where it was made.
abelm640

Post by abelm640 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:10 pm Is there a make or model engraved somewhere?

Many instruments will have upgraded mouthpieces and it's very possible a Mount Vernon mouthpiece was paired with an instrument it didn't originally come with.
so on the bell engraving it has bironet maybe baronet if part of the stamp got smoothed over is just missing the other side of the A as the large portion on the stamp and then just made in elkhert Ind besides that no model number or anything else
Last edited by abelm640 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The mouthpiece (easily replaced) tells you nothing about the trombone.

We need more information to assist you. Perhaps when you are fully vetted here (3 posts) you can submit some photos of the instrument (especially the bell engraving) - and even the case, if it's original - so we can help you a bit.

Why do you associate this trombone with Elkhart? Bell engraving?

For what it's worth, Bach trombones have been made, at different times, in factories in Mt. Vernon, New York and Elkhart, Indiana. No company other than Vincent Bach made trombones in Mt Vernon. And I believe there was a company that made trombones with the name Elkhart!

The R4601 may not be the instrument's serial number, but merely an internal factory number to keep parts together during assembly.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

abelm640 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pmso on the bell engraving it has bironet maybe baronet if part of the stamp got smoothed over is just missing the other side of the A as the large portion on the stamp and then just made in elkhert Ind besides that no model number or anything else
From what I can tell, "Baronet" was a trademark of the York Band Instrument Company (aka J. W. York and Sons) of Grand Rapids, MI. There's some indication that some instruments in the Baronet line may have actually been made by E. K. Blessing of Elkhart, Indiana.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JohnL wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:14 am
abelm640 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:35 pmso on the bell engraving it has bironet maybe baronet if part of the stamp got smoothed over is just missing the other side of the A as the large portion on the stamp and then just made in elkhert Ind besides that no model number or anything else
From what I can tell, "Baronet" was a trademark of the York Band Instrument Company (aka J. W. York and Sons) of Grand Rapids, MI. There's some indication that some instruments in the Baronet line may have actually been made by E. K. Blessing of Elkhart, Indiana.
So probably a student-level trombone (i.e., nothing special) with a Vincent Bach replacement mouthpiece.

Return to “Instruments”