Greenhoe Tenor Conn Bach compatibility

trombeuph

Greenhoe Tenor Conn Bach compatibility

Post by trombeuph »

I own a custom Greenhoe from around 2012, Conn style and have always wanted to mount a Bach bell on this valve section.
After I found a suitable bell (Bach 42 Sterling Silver) I also wanted to have the tuning slide adapted so that the Bach set has a matching tuning slide.
So I had the tuning slide of a Bach 42 adapted to the Conn Greenhoe with reverse tuning, but a small problem appeared. The 42 bell touches the tube of the valve.

So here's my question: were different F wraps used for Bach and Conn Greenhoes or is this possibly a Bach 42 tuning slide that is too narrow?
Or could it be another fault?

Alternatively, I could use the Bach bell with the Conn tuning slide, but I don't know how well the Conn tuning slide works with a 42 bell.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Burgerbob

Re: Greenhoe Tenor Conn Bach compatibility

Post by Burgerbob »

Conn style tuning slides have a larger span than 42, yes.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The valve wrap design did create clearance problems with Bach tuning slides. šŸ˜³ Check the alignment of the bell receiver tube to the bell flare, any downward angle will make it worse.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
trombeuph

Post by trombeuph »

I see, thanks for the reply.
What is your suggestion, should I use the bell with the Conn style tuning slide?
Or are there Bach style tuning slides that are a bit wider? For example from Shires?

Does anyone know if this combination plays well? Conn tuning slide and Bach bell.

Return to ā€œModification & Repairā€