cork bumper

Rededshred

cork bumper

Post by Rededshred »

Having recently played on a new trombone I've come to realise my king 3b has no cork slide stopper.
ive always just got used to having my finger stop me slamming it into position 1..
I can get the cork washer parts easy enough.
Do I need 1 or 2, I'd assume 2?
ls it an easy DIY job (i have relative competence) or do I need a tech?
Thanks.
Ed
BGuttman

Re: cork bumper

Post by BGuttman »

One or two thicknesses depends on your preference. If you find the slide still "bites" your fingers with one, then put on two.

You slide the cork on from the stocking end and ram it into position with the outer slide. No need for a tech, unless there is still a problem inside the cork barrel or you need to remove some remnants of an old bumper.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Yup, two needed. Easy fix.
Verify that all remains of the original bumpers are gone.
New ones made of cork, or felt, or O-rings will slide right in.
No glue. Friction fit.
Before inserting new bumpers, measure the slide travel distance between the slide in the locked position and the fully closed position. That is the thickness of the new bumpers needed to make sure that the slide lock operates properly.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Two as in stacking them, or two as in a bumper in each cork barrel?

You'll want a bumper in each barrel, with the thicknesses matched so both outers hit their bumpers at the same time.

I don't like the idea of them being thick enough so the slide lock is "snug"; I prefer to have some "play" when the slide lock is engaged so that there's no stress on any of the parts when the horn is stored.
Rededshred

Post by Rededshred »

Great info thanks everyone, appreciated. I didnt want to assume anything and mess it up. yeah i meant a cork bumper on each one sorry.. I'll order 2 then and see how i get on :)
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I don't like any play in my slide lock. the tightness ensures it won't accidentally come unlocked on its own. Like how a washer keeps its screw from backing out.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

AtomicClock wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:38 am I don't like any play in my slide lock. the tightness ensures it won't accidentally come unlocked on its own. Like how a washer keeps its screw from backing out.
Side note, all washers do is rob clamp load from the joint… sometimes they make it so that the screw doesn’t then fall out when it comes loose, but for equivalent torques, things with spring washers and such are more likely to lose clamp load.

Just one of my powertrain assembly pet peeves.

I don’t have a huge opinion on whether or not I want the slide lock to be tight, but I don’t want it so loose that with wear the catch will go over the lock, or so tight that you have to press it in daily.

Cheers,
Andy
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Rededshred wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:35 am Great info thanks everyone, appreciated. I didnt want to assume anything and mess it up. yeah i meant a cork bumper on each one sorry.. I'll order 2 then and see how i get on :)
Unless I'm misunderstanding you might want to order more than "2". These are relatively thin pieces of cork or felt and if you have a loud clanging sound when you come into 1st you'll need more than 1 on each side. I think they come in a bag or container. There's also a tool to remove what's in there, even if it's only small pieces, and you'll want to get those out before you start. Good luck.

Return to “Maintenance”