Rejano and Alessi models

norbie2018

Rejano and Alessi models

Post by norbie2018 »

For those of you who have played either of these models, or both of them, what are your impressions?

Thanks,
Michael
patbone

Re: Rejano and Alessi models

Post by patbone »

To me, the Rejano feels pretty much the same as a closed wrap Bach 42 (his previous setup). A little dense feeling with the cut bell, but to each his own.

Haven't spent as much time on the Alessi model to say for sure, but the few I've tried feel quite similar to the old Edwards setup he was on.

Can't say I've been blown away by Shires horns recently. They play fine, but nothing to write home about. That being said, their quality control and consistency of build are pretty good for the most part.

PA
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The ultimate Shires comparison will be between Shires (Eastman), Shires (pre-bankruptcy) and Stephen’s Trombones.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've played the Rejano a few times, I dig it. Very easy to play, great high register, still has beef lower down. I still prefer both David and Jim on their Bachs... but the Shires are still great sounding, easy horns.

I've only played the Alessis (Custom and Q) at a show. I actually liked the Q more, FWIW.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Has anyone tried the Colin Williams model?
Gfunk

Post by Gfunk »

My daily driver is basically a Colin Williams horn. It is a cut Colin Williams bell (from the factory) and the rest of the horn is pre-Eastman. It’s very easy to play and not a huge blow compared to some other orchestral players horns (wide slide and large rotor are big contributors). I personally like unsoldered bells and not a huge blow, so it works quite well for me. Very easy to play and push in the direction I want. If I can’t do something, it’s almost always me. It’s a middle of the road kind of horn, but in a very good way IMO
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Gfunk wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:11 am My daily driver is basically a Colin Williams horn. It is a cut Colin Williams bell (from the factory) and the rest of the horn is pre-Eastman. It’s very easy to play and not a huge blow compared to some other orchestral players horns (wide slide and large rotor are big contributors). I personally like unsoldered bells and not a huge blow, so it works quite well for me. Very easy to play and push in the direction I want. If I can’t do something, it’s almost always me. It’s a middle of the road kind of horn, but in a very good way IMO
My horn probably isn't too far off from it, except I have a TB47 instead of the TW47. But it does have a rotor and a 7YLW bell. I believe that the #7 bells are soldered. So it's a little different, but still easy to play. If I can't do something, it's certainly me that's flawed and not the horn.
Gfunk

Post by Gfunk »

JeffBone44 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:59 pm
Gfunk wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:11 am My daily driver is basically a Colin Williams horn. It is a cut Colin Williams bell (from the factory) and the rest of the horn is pre-Eastman. It’s very easy to play and not a huge blow compared to some other orchestral players horns (wide slide and large rotor are big contributors). I personally like unsoldered bells and not a huge blow, so it works quite well for me. Very easy to play and push in the direction I want. If I can’t do something, it’s almost always me. It’s a middle of the road kind of horn, but in a very good way IMO
My horn probably isn't too far off from it, except I have a TB47 instead of the TW47. But it does have a rotor and a 7YLW bell. I believe that the #7 bells are soldered. So it's a little different, but still easy to play. If I can't do something, it's certainly me that's flawed and not the horn.

Having a horn that I can’t really place blame on is nice for sorting out issues :lol: . The Colin Williams bell is a 2YLW T8 I believe. They’re similar in that both are lightweight yellow bells, but the 7YLW is soldered, a modified two piece construction and a touch heavier on the flare. The Shires 7YLW bells seem to be quite popular and understandably so.

I think that the bass crook and soldered bell pushes it a little bit more towards a Bach like horn, while the just wide slide and unsoldered bell push it towards being a little bit more Conn like. Not huge amounts, but not negligible IMO
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

Is there a difference in quality between the pre Eastman shires and post Eastman shires?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I notice this happening on threads - an OP writes a specific question and the conversation goes off on tangents unrelated to the original post. I feel that part of that is natural, part of the evolution of a thread, but I also feel that new threads with the new topics should be created so as not to detract from the original post. Very few people have responded to my original question so perhaps this thread will naturally die. Honesty, I'd prefer that over the tangents.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I tried all 3 of those models at the ITF last summer. I didn't have a lot of time on them, and the room is loud with people trying other stuff. Also, either the Rejano or the Williams had to be played with the other slide (I can't remember which) because someone had put the wrong slide on the display model - it was the first day, just as they were opening up, and someone had made a mistake. The guy in charge was very apologetic and handed me the slide from what I had just played saying it was the closest to what comes with the one I was about to try.

The Alessi is somewhat similar to the Edwards 396A. It slots well, and has a big sound, and seems easy to get around on at the same time. The Williams was similar - maybe a bit tighter sound, but not necessarily in a bad way. The Rejano really surprised me - I didn't expect to like it with its heavy bell, but I really did like the sound. I think it's a little tougher to move around on (a tighter slot to the notes) than the other two, but it has a very warm, broad sound when you are holding a note. Very heavy - feels like you have a double thayer bass trombone in your hands.

All 3 are good instruments for sure, but you would have to try them to see for yourself.

Jim Scott
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:11 pm I tried all 3 of those models at the ITF last summer. I didn't have a lot of time on them, and the room is loud with people trying other stuff. Also, either the Rejano or the Williams had to be played with the other slide (I can't remember which) because someone had put the wrong slide on the display model - it was the first day, just as they were opening up, and someone had made a mistake. The guy in charge was very apologetic and handed me the slide from what I had just played saying it was the closest to what comes with the one I was about to try.

The Alessi is somewhat similar to the Edwards 396A. It slots well, and has a big sound, and seems easy to get around on at the same time. The Williams was similar - maybe a bit tighter sound, but not necessarily in a bad way. The Rejano really surprised me - I didn't expect to like it with its heavy bell, but I really did like the sound. I think it's a little tougher to move around on (a tighter slot to the notes) than the other two, but it has a very warm, broad sound when you are holding a note. Very heavy - feels like you have a double thayer bass trombone in your hands.

All 3 are good instruments for sure, but you would have to try them to see for yourself.

Jim Scott
I guess this would be a related question - what did you notice about the Alessi valve wrap design versus the Rejano wrap and the standard rotor? I’ve heard that the Alessi valve feels more stable - perhaps more centered and locked in?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:52 pm I notice this happening on threads - an OP writes a specific question and the conversation goes off on tangents unrelated to the original post. I feel that part of that is natural, part of the evolution of a thread, but I also feel that new threads with the new topics should be created so as not to detract from the original post. Very few people have responded to my original question so perhaps this thread will naturally die. Honesty, I'd prefer that over the tangents.
I have not tried either instrument.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

JeffBone44 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:12 am
CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:11 pm I tried all 3 of those models at the ITF last summer. I didn't have a lot of time on them, and the room is loud with people trying other stuff. Also, either the Rejano or the Williams had to be played with the other slide (I can't remember which) because someone had put the wrong slide on the display model - it was the first day, just as they were opening up, and someone had made a mistake. The guy in charge was very apologetic and handed me the slide from what I had just played saying it was the closest to what comes with the one I was about to try.

Jim Scott
I guess this would be a related question - what did you notice about the Alessi valve wrap design versus the Rejano wrap and the standard rotor? I’ve heard that the Alessi valve feels more stable - perhaps more centered and locked in?
Honestly, I don't really remember. It was 6 months ago in a loud room for a brief try. What I do remember is that I was expecting to find the Rejano valve to be stuffy with that wrap and it didn't come across that way to me. The valve sections all played pretty well as I remember - maybe the Alessi wrap was more open? I couldn't swear to that this far after the fact. If someone was to go to the factory, I'm sure you could mix and match parts and maybe end up with a horn that is a hybrid of any of these instruments that suits you well. My overall impression was good for all 3.

JS

Return to “Instruments”