Courtois Creation NY Tenor Trombone opinions

norbie2018

Courtois Creation NY Tenor Trombone opinions

Post by norbie2018 »

I have reviewed the archives and found very little re this trombone. Does anyone have personal playing experience with the NY Tenor model? Overall impressions and specific info both appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
bassbone1993

Re: Courtois Creation NY Tenor Trombone opinions

Post by bassbone1993 »

From what I remember when Courtois brought a number of their trombones to Schmitt music a few years back, the NY tenor was pretty bland. Both Keith and I thought that of all the tenors they bought, we both thought their axial tenor played the most even and with the most color.

Of course that was about 5-6 years ago, and it could have been a poor example of their NY tenor. But there are some players out there that sound amazing on them.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Is this the Weston Sprott one?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Yes
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

One of the best playing and sounding large tenors I've had the chance of playing. However...

When they added a screwbell, they realized it shifted the balance too far forwards. This necessitated a move of the bell backwards towards the player (think Conn Ballroom). This means the bell is in a totally different spot than most large tenors.

There's a studio guy here in town that had one for a while, but it was so off-putting with that bell position that he sold it. Having played it in showrooms with that knowledge, I think I would do the same.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Oh, I tried it. Great construction, loved the case and travel option, and thought it actually played nicely.

But Courtois uses very short cork barrels so I almost cut my palm going into first position. Watch some vids of Weston playing it -- he has to hold it in a very unique way.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

I'd love to see Courtois more in the American market, but it's hard to compete with makers like Shires, Edwards, M&W, etc. especially with their creation line since I think they're not finished with it?

Return to “Instruments”