Can someone help me with trumpets?

Mamaposaune

Can someone help me with trumpets?

Post by Mamaposaune »

So, I have some private trumpet students, mostly middle-school aged. However I have one who started high school this year and is making great progress, and is ready to move up from his Yamaha rental.
Are there any doublers, repair guys, or band directors here that can help with suggestions? Luckily we are about an hours drive from Dillons, so he will have a chance to play and compare before he buys.
Since I have read numerous posts here on the TC about the quality control issues with the newer Bachs, I'm assuming there are similar issues with the trumpets.
I have already suggested trying older Bachs and new/used Yamaha Xenos; but I have a feeling that they will be leaning toward a new horn. (Dillon's has also put a limit on the number of horns that can be tried since the pandemic.)
Hoping I can give him a short list of 3 or 4 brands/ models that will last him through college and beyond.
Doug Elliott

Re: Can someone help me with trumpets?

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think you can probably trust the people who work at Dillon to give good advice. Adam is a great trombone player and friend. I'm not sure who there is a trumpet player.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
OneTon

Re: Can someone help me with trumpets?

Post by OneTon »

The trumpet herald and trumpet gearhead sites may be worth taking a look at. I have bought two used King trombones from Dillon that were completely playable. I think they will have someone knowledgeable test and correct any problems with new or used horns prior to making them available for sale. Bach’s new 190 offering was aimed at curing some recent problems.

There may not be that many new horns due to supply and demand and production problems. Used instruments may have to be considered. Bach, Yamaha, Stomvi, Schilke, and Jupiter are worthy of consideration.

A used Bach 37 from Dillon can be had worth the money, won’t hold anyone back, and if it isn’t abused will usually hold its value or increase in value if held onto long enough.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Instruments”