Yamaha 421 grip/strap/holding aid

comebackplayer

Yamaha 421 grip/strap/holding aid

Post by comebackplayer »

I'm hopefully getting my first bass trombone, a one valver 421. My teenage daughter may use it also. She's normally on euphonium but has learned some tenor and is interested in bass. I use the neotech for our tenors. Will they work on the Yamaha 421 also? What other grips would you recommend? My hands are big; hers are average.

I'd also welcome any thoughts on getting adjusted to this bass trombone or its ergonomics in general. I'm paying around 700 for it and picking it up this weekend. I'm just playing for fun and she's small, so this seemed like a good compromise/starter bass to try.
BGuttman

Re: Yamaha 421 grip/strap/holding aid

Post by BGuttman »

You should be able to use the Neotech, provided you still have all the bits and pieces to fit the different diameter tubing that came with it. Some people have problems using the Neotech with double trigger basses, but that should not be the case here.

The classic way to deal with these instruments is the Clebsch strap, also sold by Yamaha as the Yamaha strap. Big problem is they stretch with time and need to be replaced. Good side is they are pretty inexpensive.

You might look into the Calder-Pipps grip, which is based on the old Get-a-Grip (now kinda hard to find). I think member Conn88Hagmann sells them from England.

Some folks like the Ax Handle and similar, but some cases won't allow you to put the instrument in the case with it installed.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Neotech works fine with the 421. Biggest problem I had with the 421 was the trigger being below my thumb. I had a tech modify my trigger so it is now above my thumb. Biggest problem using the Neotech is being able to quickly get your hand free to insert a mute. When I first started Bb/F horns, I used the Neotech exclusively. After a while I took them off to facilitate mute placement. One big advantage for King horns, trigger behind the bell brace. Sounds like a good price. Enjoy.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
SGH

Post by SGH »

More discussion here:

viewtopic.php?p=209534#p209534
comebackplayer

Post by comebackplayer »

Thanks everyone! I may try the ax handle at some point. I have a Yamaha strap, but have never felt like I've been able to use it correctly. I do have a Neotech, so may just start there and see how it goes.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

comebackplayer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 am Thanks everyone! I may try the ax handle at some point. I have a Yamaha strap, but have never felt like I've been able to use it correctly. I do have a Neotech, so may just start there and see how it goes.
Aidan/Burger Bob has a video on YouTube showing how he uses a strap. You might have a look.

I tried fixed grips but worried about damaging the horn and the horn fitting into the case. I used straps to good effect but found a GAG and a Calderpip to work best.

Return to “Instruments”