Trombone Making Apprenticeship?

Ouryuken53

Trombone Making Apprenticeship?

Post by Ouryuken53 »

I may sound dumb saying this, but I just found out that you can be an apprentice from someone and learn how to make instruments. I have been trying to find people/places that would accept an apprentice but can't find any. Would anyone happen to know a person/place?
hornbuilder

Re: Trombone Making Apprenticeship?

Post by hornbuilder »

A few questions.
Where are you in life?? What experience do you have with instrument repair/fabrication?

I would suggest going to Red Wing MN and learning Band Instrument Repair. That course teaches many aspects of instrument construction/repair/techniques that are applicable to manufacture.

I know that Getzen is always looking for new hires. With a company like that, if you're new to the industry, they will teach you a task (like assembling tuning slides for example) and have you do that task for a period of time. Once you have shown a degree of understanding/skill with that task, you may be moved onto something a little more complex. In a factory setting like that, you may be trained in many aspects of manufacture, if you show potential, and "climb the ladder" within the shop. Shires may be another company to approach.

Small shops (1-4 techs) are less likely to take on someone with fewer skills, since the time taken to train someone takes away from making instruments, which can really negatively affect production/income.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Ouryuken53

Post by Ouryuken53 »

hornbuilder wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:22 pm A few questions.
Where are you in life?? What experience do you have with instrument repair/fabrication?

I would suggest going to Red Wing MN and learning Band Instrument Repair. That course teaches many aspects of instrument construction/repair/techniques that are applicable to manufacture.

I know that Getzen is always looking for new hires. With a company like that, if you're new to the industry, they will teach you a task (like assembling tuning slides for example) and have you do that task for a period of time. Once you have shown a degree of understanding/skill with that task, you may be moved onto something a little more complex. In a factory setting like that, you may be trained in many aspects of manufacture, if you show potential, and "climb the ladder" within the shop. Shires may be another company to approach.

Small shops (1-4 techs) are less likely to take on someone with fewer skills, since the time taken to train someone takes away from making instruments, which can really negatively affect production/income.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I appreciate it.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Matt is right! That is literally the correct answer.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Matt nailed it. I would add that learning assembly AND repair is a good idea. Also, learning skills for all of the instruments is a major plus. Think about the ratio of trombone players to flute players in school bands. Many times it is 1:3 or even more. Learn those other instruments so that you have opportunities!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Are you willing to move to Elkhart, IN?

Conn-Selmer would hire you on the spot. And, if learning to build horns was something you're serious enough about to stick with it for more than 18 months, I have to think you'd move up pretty fast because of the high turnover in the factory.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

All of the advice above is valid and should be considered if entering the field.

As someone who has been employed in both repair and manufacturing work, I just wanted to chime in here. There are certainly no shortages of opportunities to work with major manufacturers, even with little to no experience in the field, and these are excellent opportunities to learn. Both repair and manufacturing experience are valuable in this field.

Keep in mind that most modern manufacturing is wildly different from the "craftsman-style" instrument making of old, and usually quite different from the light in which these companies portray themselves. Most often you will be focused on a very small portion of the manufacturing process and do only a handful of tasks repetitively for likely years at a time. Often you will be under pressure to meet production numbers and frequently with compromises/dissonance between the marketed portrayal and the reality of corporate business. It may not be the glorious, righteous ideal of instrument building that is easily imagined from the marketing of instrument manufacturers.

That said, please don't be discouraged. There is definitely a need for people to learn the craft and I suggest you pursue it if you are interested in it.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Dave brings up a good point. I know of one worker in one shop who assembled trombone tuning slides for 15 years. That was the "only" thing they did for the entire 15 years. That may have been their choice of course, but it does give some idea of what working in a production facility can be like for some people. But as I said, if you're "hungry", and show promise and ability, you can grow and work in many different areas of production.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:40 pm But as I said, if you're "hungry", and show promise and ability, you can grow and work in many different areas of production.
Or the production manager can tell you that you "haven't demonstrated your value to the company." :hi:
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture

Return to “Instruments”