Name this Trombone

JustPlainDan

Name this Trombone

Post by JustPlainDan »

Hey there, fellow instrumentalists. Recently I inherited a beautiful Besson trombone that I can’t for the life of me identify. It looks like a student model, but the serial suggests it's from the very late 60s. It's using a 12C mouthpiece so I suspect it's a small bore Trombone. However, unlike every other brass instrument I’ve owned, there's no model or manufacture information on the bell. Just the Besson name and small logo.

Any help in identifying this little guy is appreciated!

Photos: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AryvdMHzGLZRp7VFMhA4PWVZ7_dosQ
TromboneTiger

Re: Name this Trombone

Post by TromboneTiger »

the only thing i could find was a prodige 130, but i don't know at all if that's what it is.
claf

Post by claf »

The slide looks the same as my Blessing's however the serial number is only on the outer slide brace on yours and on both slides braces on mine. Also the slide lock looks the same.
Gaudet bass
Adams TB1 Open Flow dual bore tenor
Blessing .508 straight tenor
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Kanstul was the manufacturer of some Bessons but I don't know how to know where it was made or anything about model names.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Most Besson trombones from the last 60 years have their serial number on the underside of the bell, just in front of the main bell brace. Since the 70s or 80s, the serial number has been preceded by a 3 digit model number; 4** for imported student models (could be Amati, Jupiter or Blessing, in rising order of preference), 6** for British made student models, 7** for intermediate models and 9** for professional instruments. They may not have a model name but may just be Besson 600, 700 or 900.
I know that Kanstul made some professional trumpets but I don't have any information about trombones made by them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Stewbones 43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Is the bell section unusually long? I bought a Besson 639 USA bell section years ago, I had a student (Conn?) slide that I was hoping it might fit. Aside from the problem that the tenon was a bit loose and the threads didn't match up, I noticed that it played very flat, +/- a half-step. When I compared it to other bell sections it was noticeably longer, and it did not fit in the student case that I had.
It's still sitting loose in my trombone room, I just checked and the serial # (4**) is on the slide receiver.
Based on what Stewbones wrote, I suspect it was made by Blessing.

Return to “Instruments”