2b vs 3b

Tina

2b vs 3b

Post by Tina »

Can someone please help me understand the difference between the 2B and 3B? My son is torn between the two. He plays in a local Jazz band and his high school jazz band He plans to attend a music program in college.
BGuttman

Re: 2b vs 3b

Post by BGuttman »

The King 2B is a smaller bore instrument with a smaller bell than the 3B.

The 2B is generally considered a more niche instrument, best for lead trombone in a Big Band and combo (like Dixieland bands).

The 3B is considered a more universal instrument. The 3B can be used for any of the top 3 chairs in a jazz band, 1st trombone in a concert band, most combo work, etc.

For a little more versatility you could get the 3B with an F-attachment making it a good choice for playing in pit band in shows.

If he intends on majoring in music, neither may be good choices. Many music colleges will require a large bore with F since this is more universal than either the King 2B or King 3B.

If you don't mind getting another instrument as he moves into college, the 3B would be preferable to the 2B at this stage. If you want to be ready for the study of music, another instrument would be better
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

The 2B is smaller bore size and smaller bell diameter. It has a dual-bore, so the bottom slide tube is a larger inside diameter than the top tube. It's small, but it feels and sounds bigger than it actually is.

The 3B is larger bore size and larger bell. It is single bore, so both slide tubes are the same diameter.

They're both great instruments. He needs to try both and see which one he likes better.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I've had both, and either one can be used for nearly anything in jazz or commercial playing. 3B is actually a more versatile size. Try them and decide by his preference, but they would both be good choices. Or many other similar size horns.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

I'd recommend you buy used if you're looking at buying. Both the 2b and the 3b have been around a long time and are usually well taken care of so they last a long time.

We've got both a 2b (straight, silversonic) and a 3b (with an f attachment) - the 2b is my son's go to for his jazz band. The 3b was his go-to for pit band in Newsies (he doubled on bass too).

I think starting with a 3b with an f attachment as mentioned above is good advice. They also tend to show up more frequently on the used market. If he doesn't have an f attachment yet, that's going to be something he'll want to learn to use it he's going to continue on in college.

If he does trombone performance, he'll likely need to get something in addition to the 2b and 3b - like a large bore tenor. But you can deal with that at another time...
Briande

Post by Briande »

My first "upgrade" horn was a 3B w/F and that got me through middle school and high school both concert and jazz band. I now have that plus a straight 3B and a 2B. If ALL he plans on doing is jazz I think a used straight 2B or 3B is his best option and if there is a way he try both that would be ideal.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H. Conn 10H.

Return to “Instruments”