Preventing tarnish

Kdanielsen

Preventing tarnish

Post by Kdanielsen »

Well, I did what I vowed to never do again: I bought another silver plated euph.

Any tips for reducing tarnish? Is there some chemical solution I can impregnate the inside of the gig bag with? Should I keep it in the case or out? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
AtomicClock

Re: Preventing tarnish

Post by AtomicClock »

Well, my experience is that after being in the case for years, almost no tarnhish developed. But after being left out of the case for a few days, lots of tarnish. I suspect Yamaha put something in the lining.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I think the generic advice on this is to use one or another form of Haggerty's Silversmith Polish. It contains a tarnish preventative. Most of the people on Dave Werden's forum (https://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php) seem to use it on their silver instruments. I tried just about everything and use it on my 100 year old tuba, and it's been the best for me. For in between touchups I use a silver polishing cloth (I think Selmer?). But I wouldn't have another silver instrument.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Anti-tarnish strips work if you replace them on schedule.

I leave a few in my Mouthpiece Cases of Shame, and they seem to do the trick. The pieces on my shelf tarnish much more rapidly, what with all the brimstone nowadays
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

A quick wipe-down with SimpleCoat seals porous metals and stone like copper, silver, bronze, and granite. It has worked marvelously to preserve some trumpet leadpipes that were just beginning to de-zinc. Clean and wipe down (in and out for a leadpipe) stopped the deterioration and tarnish entirely.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Got two words for you: Pacific Silvercloth. (You can get it at just about any fabric store.)

I made a silvercloth bag for my euph when I bought it in 2008 and kept my euph in it for the first couple of years. I stopped putting it in the bag in late 2010/early 2011 and simply keep it in the case and lay my horn on it when I put it away. (I close the top of the case but do not zip it unless I'm taking it to a gig.) It's been at least 10 years since I've had to polish it, which is saying something since I have a gas furnace, gas hot water heater, gas stove, and gas fireplace. (My silverplated mouthpieces, however, which are stored in a desk drawer, all have interesting patinas.)
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

sungfw wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 pm Got two words for you: Pacific Silvercloth. (You can get it at just about any fabric store.)

I made a silvercloth bag for my euph when I bought it in 2008 and kept my euph in it for the first couple of years. I stopped putting it in the bag in late 2010/early 2011 and simply keep it in the case and lay my horn on it when I put it away. (I close the top of the case but do not zip it unless I'm taking it to a gig.) It's been at least 10 years since I've had to polish it, which is saying something since I have a gas furnace, gas hot water heater, gas stove, and gas fireplace. (My silverplated mouthpieces, however, which are stored in a desk drawer, all have interesting patinas.)
I bought that a little while ago! Haven’t turned it into a sack yet. Glad to know im on the right track!!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony

Return to “Maintenance”