Low tenor or small bass

Discuss the people that make the music here.
AtomicClock

Low tenor or small bass

Post by AtomicClock »

There is something very thrilling to me in listening to a tenor trombonist who has full control of the trigger range (probably because I don't, despite the hours I've put in). Alain Trudel's Hosanna (Liszt) is wonderful, even though I don't care as much for various bass trombone renditions. Can anyone suggest artists or recordings of this sort of sound?

In the same vein, I'm curious to hear more small bass, maybe with a 1 1/2G or 2G-sized mouthpiece. Did Ray Premru make any solo recordings? Anyone else?
GabrielRice

Re: Low tenor or small bass

Post by GabrielRice »

Listen to Jeff Reynolds' solo record. He was playing NY and Mt. Vernon Bach 50s with a 1-1/2G at that time. The LA Philharmonic Trombone Troupe record is also wonderful.

Donald Knaub did a few records, including the first recording of the Alec Wilder Sonata with the composer in the studio.

Dave Taylor's first solo recording was done on his Holton with a 1-1/2G.

Ray did not make a solo record, but you can hear him prominently on some Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recordings - the Matthew Locke Music for his Majesty's Sackbuts and Cornetts is particularly great to hear the kind of sound he made at the bottom of a small ensemble - and in the Oberlin days he did a trombone quartet record called High Anxiety Bones. He was playing an Edwards rather than his Holton at that point, but the mouthpiece remained his MV 2G or the Greg Black copy of it.
AtomicClock

Re: Low tenor or small bass

Post by AtomicClock »

GabrielRice wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:51 pm Matthew Locke Music for his Majesty's Sackbuts and Cornetts
This is on the only album I ever wore out, back in the days of audio cassette.

Return to “Musicians”